posting for a friend..... - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
posting for a friend.....
Tuesday, November 16, 2010 7:45 AM
Hi all,

I've recently bought a 1998 Toyota Cavalier 2.4S back off the guy who bought it off me. The gear shifter is not working right. When the dash light shows reverse, the gear shifter is in the Park position, when dash light shows neutral the shifter is in the reverse position, etc.

I've trawled through the forums, used the search feature and found nothing about this so far. Maybe different terms between NZ and American English?

So how can I adjust the shifter?

I'm in New Zealand, so these cars aren't very common, nor are parts cheap over here, so bear that in mind please.

Thanks for all your help,

Harry

Re: posting for a friend.....
Tuesday, November 16, 2010 1:05 PM
Sounds like the shift linkage or the shift cable (not sure which that car has) under the car needs to be adjusted.

Saturday, November 20, 2010 3:47 AM
Unless the Toyota clusters are that much diffrent from our Chevy's (BTW I hate you for having the Toyota Cavalier LOL) I think the dash has the little orange slider thing that shows the gear your in. IIRC there is a actual linkage cable that connects to that in the cluster. They can be adjusted. Just gotta pull the dash pad off, and remove the cluster, and look for the little shift cable thats on there, and see if there is a way to adjust it. Im not 100% sure about it, but I know on other cars there are connected like that from the shifter. Goodluck, and post some pics of that Toyo!

Saturday, November 27, 2010 5:34 AM
its tranny cable the rubber is busted somewhere its melted wrap some electrical and heating duct tape around it should be good for a while thats what i did haha been good for 6 months
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search