question about intake manifold - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
question about intake manifold
Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:55 PM
Hello, I have 96 2.2L , but I got a deal on a intake manifold and throttle body from RSM which Zspec now sells. The question is they sell a ported manifold and tb for both the z24 and 2200. They use stock pics for both of them ...so how do I know which car it fits on...what's the difference between the two regarding intake manifolds? Thanks!!

Re: question about intake manifold
Tuesday, November 23, 2010 10:55 PM
Everything is different.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 6:37 PM
won't be able to use either on your car without major modification.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Wednesday, November 24, 2010 6:59 PM
Oh ya I know they won't bolt on to a 2.2L easily at least ....I'm just wondering for in the future for the next buy ...which car has which intake manifold...It appears the z24 has a smaller intake manifold and the 2200 has a slightly bigger one or longer ...at least thats what it looked like trying to google pictures of them...does that sound right?
Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:14 PM
well, the z24 has a 2.4 twin cam... so to make the intake manifold fit with that one, you'd need to swap the engine, trans, ecm, and various other goodies to make the intake manifold work. for the 2200, you'd need a 2200 head, block, exhaust, ecm, and again, various goodies to make it work. not worth it on either count really.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:24 AM
I think I may have confused both of us here lol ...what I'm saying is that I plan on getting another/ different cavalier in the the next year or two ...therefore I'm wondering what model the manifold and tb actually fit to consider that in when choosing....does that make sense? hence I'm wondering what kind of intake manifold each have to discover what I have ... I believe they are different correct?
Thursday, November 25, 2010 6:32 AM
yes. the 2200 mani will only work on a 2200 engine. period.

the 2.4 twin cam ld9 mani will only work on the 2.4 twin cam engine. period.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:27 PM
Post a pic of the manifold that you have.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Friday, November 26, 2010 6:03 AM
Adam V wrote:I think I may have confused both of us here lol ...what I'm saying is that I plan on getting another/ different cavalier in the the next year or two ...therefore I'm wondering what model the manifold and tb actually fit to consider that in when choosing....does that make sense? hence I'm wondering what kind of intake manifold each have to discover what I have ... I believe they are different correct?

the 96 2.2 intake has an integrated throttle body, you can't just swap it like you can on most vehicles. the 2200 debuted in the j-body in 1998, and ran through 2002. it has a different intake manifold, but the engine is essentially the same. this engine (the 2200) has a removable throttle body. the 2.4 twin cam was introduced in 96, and with minor differences, ran through 2002 as well. the intakes are not interchangeable between these engines.

the 2.2 intake fits the 2.2.
the 2200 intake fits the 2200.
the 2.4 intake fits the 2.4.

never thought i'd ever have to spell something like that out, but i guess the search button must be broken, otherwise you'd have known all this.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 1:31 AM
Well Rich,

You do seem to know what you're talking about on here, but once again you seem to not understand my question. First off, I've exhausted the search button. I've exhausted ebay looking at pictures, and I've exhausted google images. I know exactly what the 2.2 has. I know that the intake I'm askng about won't fit without a few headaches. I was wondering what exactly the differences were between the z24 and the 2200 manifold as stated in the original question. I actually did search myself and found the answer.

As far as the last post ^ ... it didn't really need to be spelled out. I know that they all have different manifolds and that the 2200 ran from 98 to 02 and etc... Thanks for responding timely though...it is appreciated.
Saturday, November 27, 2010 5:28 AM
Differences being port spacing, size, angle, and the twin cam intake is on the front of the engine, the 2200 on the rear.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search