Newbie from upstate ny - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Newbie from upstate ny
Sunday, December 19, 2010 6:05 PM
Hey, guys i joined just few days ago and so far i love the site! I am from a little town in upstate ny called Gilbertsville and would love to network with some other jbody owners so if your from upstate new york please post and let me know should be fun to meet some new jbody owners! Also a pic of my car is below.

Re: Newbie from upstate ny
Sunday, December 19, 2010 9:28 PM
spoiler's definately not my thing but the rest of the car is alright. except for the painted drums nice job

Monday, December 20, 2010 6:52 AM
Thanks, ya the spoiler really isnt my thing either but i ordered it online thinking it was going tobe much smaller and look a lot better on the car wish i could take it off now but it would leave 4 ugly holes in my trunk lol. Someday i want to get all of the body seams filled by someone who knows what they are doing and get it all repainted. I installed the body kit myself and think its not to bad being it was my first bit of body work ever. And why dont you like the painted drums? ive seen people say that before too that painted drums dont look good but painted calipers are ok? would like to someday convert the back to calipers if thats possible?

Monday, December 20, 2010 7:02 AM
A pre-03 carbon fiber trunk would solve the spoiler problem. Other than that I only see it needing a drop and new wheels.

I have been known to venture up to the Syracuse area once in a blue moon.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Monday, December 20, 2010 7:05 AM
Alright ill have to look into that new trunk lid, and lowering it is also something that i have planned for it in the future, as for the wheels i think im going to keep them for a bit, just bought them last year and i like them, but to each there own thanks for the advice! oh btw im from about two hours south of the syracuse area.

Monday, December 20, 2010 7:16 AM
I'm in the Rochester area. And 4 small holes will be a lot less ugly than that park bench.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:24 PM
the painted drum's just make our cheap ass rear brake's stick out. it just kind of make's the fact that the car is cheap stick out that much worse. paint em black to try and make them disappear a bit.

and yes converting the rear brake's to a disc setup is 100% possible. do some reasearch in the suspension/brake forum. more so the sticky area.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 4:01 PM
Thanks! btw you would be happy to her that i am working on buying a new trunk lid that is completely shaved so i can get rid of that ugly wing and have a nicer looking lid.

Thursday, December 23, 2010 9:53 PM
I'm in the Albany area, as is Smoosh. Trunk lid and a drop will make it a great looking car. I think if you paint the drums and calipers black, then the wheels would go with the body kit without any attention being drawn away from them.

Saturday, December 25, 2010 7:19 PM
well you see i agree with you totally that it needs to be lowered. However my problem is im not sure whether to just put some lowering springs in it or wait till i have the money to do my dream which is to put airbags in it. I have a friend with a chevy s10 with airbags and i fell in love with the idea but if i wait till i have the money for that i could be a while lol

Saturday, December 25, 2010 7:44 PM
Take it from someone who had a bagged J for 2 years, dont. Invest in a good set of coil-overs(Tein, STD, KDW, B&G). I too was in love with the idea of airride, but after a year of being bagged i hated it.

Also lower springs on stock struts are a big no-no. Also stay very far away from egay coil-overs.

Sunday, December 26, 2010 7:15 AM
im in walton ny delware county area
Sunday, December 26, 2010 1:14 PM
What exactly didnt you like about the airbags? too much maintnance? and ya i know where walton is its only like a half hour drive from here good to know we have some people on here from this area. Mabye when the weateher gets better in the spring we can organize a get together somewhere in upstate ny .

Sunday, December 26, 2010 1:43 PM
the ride on air can really suck. especially for a daily driver. for a show car is awesome. for a dd, no so much. get a good quality coilover setup. i'm trying to gauge interest for a company to start producing affordable coilover's for us in the suspension/brake forum as we speak actually. head over there, and go to the company's page and email them letting them know of your interest.

Sunday, December 26, 2010 2:15 PM
Victor Foster wrote:What exactly didnt you like about the airbags?

The ride quality is horrible and the handling is garbage. Not to mention the adjustments are a PITA. Too much air and it feels like you have 2x4s for struts. Too little air and you scrape on everything.

The only good thing about airride is that you can slam a SHOW car without a problem. Other than that a quality set of coil-overs trumps airride. My Tein Super Streets are way better then my old Easystreet airride.

Monday, December 27, 2010 7:10 AM
Roads are so bad here my front z bumper scrapes at stock ride hieght. I wouldn't even go lowered id blow out my tranny pan
Monday, December 27, 2010 9:26 AM
haha ya gotta love the roads in our area!

Monday, December 27, 2010 9:29 AM
They aren't any different than the roads in any other state.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Monday, December 27, 2010 12:02 PM
Oh yes, yes they are. I think illdeca can confirm that many dirt roads and just crappy upkeep in our area of NY. Plus roads in the south are often times much better because they dont take the abuse of plows in the winter.

Monday, December 27, 2010 12:07 PM
Every state has dirt roads.

In case you hadn't noticed, I live in NY as well, so I know the roads you speak of.

It's just another case of people thinking they have it worse, their cops are more of a pain, their weather is worse, etc...

It's common everywhere, but few people travel enough to realize it.

Monday, December 27, 2010 12:21 PM
Using your roof as a workbench, -1
should have used that spoiler instead

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, December 27, 2010 12:22 PM

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae

Monday, December 27, 2010 1:04 PM
When i travel to Binghamton the roads actually get better at the state line when i cross into NY. Also i dont bottom out nearly as much with the coil-overs than i did with the airride.

Monday, December 27, 2010 1:47 PM
haha ya probably not the best idea to use my roof as a workbench. But it was the easiest at the time lol. The spoiler will be leaving for good soon i am getting a new trunk lid. Anyone want a nice black piece of scrap metal? lol

Monday, December 27, 2010 3:13 PM
Tinkles wrote:When i travel to Binghamton the roads actually get better at the state line when i cross into NY. Also i dont bottom out nearly as much with the coil-overs than i did with the airride.

And Route 15 gets much nicer when you cross into PA, it all depends on where the state wants to put it's money.

Monday, December 27, 2010 6:45 PM
There's actually really bad roads. Going towards binghamton by me I hit a bump on rt 17 wheel bearing killer if you it with a motorcycle forget it
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search