97 Sunfire with a Grand Prix GTP 3800 Supercharged Engine Swap - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 Sunfire with a Grand Prix GTP 3800 Supercharged Engine Swap
Sunday, January 09, 2011 9:22 PM
I wanna do this. I was thinking of getting the sunfire supercharged but the 3800sc from the grand prix gtp looks like some more fun. Anyone know how much money this is going to cost? I can get the donor Grand Prix, but how much more money/time will I have to invest? Knowing this project is currently beyond my skill level if I get a mechanic to do it what is a fair price and where should I look to get it done?

Re: 97 Sunfire with a Grand Prix GTP 3800 Supercharged Engine Swap
Sunday, January 09, 2011 9:31 PM
the 3800 swap from what i here is one of the harder ones and if you cant do it yourself i would say forget about it finding someone to do all the custom work, wiring, etc is just gonna be a lotttt of money. either supercharge your car or just save up and buy a better car
Sunday, January 09, 2011 10:34 PM
"A lottttt?" how much is that? Besides if I wanted to save up and buy a better car I would.... But I'm looking to make my first car better... Getting a new car isn't an option.
Sunday, January 09, 2011 10:47 PM
Here is an idea of what you are in for. I highly doubt that you will get a mechanic to do all the custom work that is required.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Sunday, January 09, 2011 11:15 PM
Why do you doubt? Do you really know me? Do you really know my potential or the potential of others? I'm just asking for some advice anyway, when people doubt me, it tends to fuel my desire to prove them wrong, it's like this ocd thing I have. So I guess... thanks for doubting me and thanks for the link.
Monday, January 10, 2011 12:51 AM
Dom T wrote:Why do you doubt? Do you really know me? Do you really know my potential or the potential of others? I'm just asking for some advice anyway, when people doubt me, it tends to fuel my desire to prove them wrong, it's like this ocd thing I have. So I guess... thanks for doubting me and thanks for the link.

because of these two statements you already made:

Dom T wrote: Anyone know how much money this is going to cost?

Dom T wrote:Knowing this project is currently beyond my skill level

any time someone says something like that, the project is way out of their league, both in terms of their own skill and their funding.

paying someone else to do the work for you is only going to end up costing you at least 3 times as much money (if not more), and trying to do it yourself without knowing what you're doing will lead to an uncompleted project... or at the very least improper and unsafe craftsmanship. besides, if you can't afford another car, then you can't afford to screw up the one you've got, and probably can't be without it long enough to complete a very complex engine swap.

Monday, January 10, 2011 9:15 AM
Dom T wrote:Why do you doubt? Do you really know me? Do you really know my potential or the potential of others? I'm just asking for some advice anyway, when people doubt me, it tends to fuel my desire to prove them wrong, it's like this ocd thing I have. So I guess... thanks for doubting me and thanks for the link.

I dont know you, but i do know the general thought process of certified mechanics. There is too much liability involved with all the custom work of a L67 swap. A custom subframe has to be made, the car needs to be rewired, etc. If something bad happens down the road with the work that they did, it isnt worth their jobs.

Your best bet for getting someone else to do the swap for you is gtpsunfire

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Monday, January 10, 2011 9:30 AM
And in the end youll have a front heavy car that handles like a Grand Prix, rides like a Cavalier, and still only runs low 13s. Thats my view atleast. Its cool for the novelty factor but in the end thats all its for.

Monday, January 10, 2011 5:14 PM
just throw a bunch of juice at whatever engine u have now. it'll end up being alot more fun

Friday, January 14, 2011 9:39 PM
buy a 50 shot of nitrous i went from 9/7 to a 9/0 with zex,,,then i boosted it...but everyone told me not to get a ebay turbo kit and it works just fine,,,running low 8's now...ur best bet is to buy the 3400 v6

2nd place means 1ST PLACE LOSER!!!
Saturday, January 15, 2011 8:28 PM
I pray to God youre talking about the 1/8 mile.

Monday, January 17, 2011 5:57 PM
My sunfire runs 10.80s. Beat that.

Bish

I don't need a @!#$ sig.
Monday, January 17, 2011 6:18 PM
nothign against darren by any means. he has alot of respect around here not to mention one of the most knowledgable guys around and a good friend. he was a big part of my swap until i got past him when he was building his car.
can he do the 3800 swap yes
but there is 2 things darren doesn't do and thats build the subframe and wire the car so if you were to get him to do yours pending your area those 2 things would have to be outsourced. probably other guys that are better for doin the 3800 swap. funny how RAVEn wasn't mentioned. i bult my subframe and my engine harness but i wont build them for others without there car and money

if you were to pay a mechanic (find one that will do it) your gonna look at the say 10 000 range pending his labour thats the high end it depends on what your doing. getting a mechanic to do it likely wont happen as 99% of mechanics are part changers now they usually aren't fabricators so that part there no better then you at and unless they do the research there not gonna take your word on things and they wont research for free

if you can't do it yourself the chances of this happening are slim

i would build you one if you give me 6000 upfront and your car and i will get you all the parts needed this swap i wont even touch the car untill i'm paid as theres so much labour

do an eco swap and saab turbo it for 2000 tops

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search