Yeah another Newbie full with questions??? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Yeah another Newbie full with questions???
Saturday, January 29, 2011 6:31 AM
Morning Chaps, first I do not even own a j-body but interested in a front wheel build. The cav seems to be a cheaper naturally aspirated build and I am a chevy fan, not to mention I have seems some really nice cavs out there. I was thinking about a 2000 Z24 model and I have read so far that they come with a 2.4 I4 LD9 engine and 5 speed trans. I would like to know more about the engine, if any of you veterans could point me in the right direction I would be thankful. Need to know about the specs like is it a single or dual cam? What is the most hp you can get just naturally aspirated? Are there any wide body kits available? I have tried looking for upgrades and found more than I expected but have not seen anything about a real intake manifold. I read that the venom intakes are questionable and would like some input if you have any. I came upon a site called Revshift that offered a sheet metal intake but a search on this site had no input? Yeah, I know this is alot of questions but wanted to do some home work before dropping dimes. Thanks for any and all input and have a great day!

Re: Yeah another Newbie full with questions???
Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:02 AM
Read the stickys and use the search function please. Then ask clarifying questions.

Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:45 AM
- Engine Type: Inline 4 Cylinder
- Displacement: 2.4 Liter (146 CID)
- RPO: LD9
- Bore: 90 mm 3.54 in
- Stroke: 94 mm 3.70 in
- Compression Ratio: 9.5:1 (96-98)/ 9.7:1 (99-02)
- Firing Order: 1-3-4-2
- Horse Power: 150 @ 5600 rpm
- Torque Rating: 155 @ 2400-4400 rpm
- Recommended octane: 87
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 15.2 gal.
- EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway):
Manual: 23 mpg / 33 mpg
Automatic: 22 mpg / 30 mpg
- Fuel Delivery: Sequential Fuel Injection (SFI)

-The LD9 can get 200+hp with the right intake, cams, exhaust, headers, etc... Basic bolt on stuff.

-I don't believe a "real" widebody kit exists for the cavalier, the closest kit is the Aerogear Millennium Series Body Kit, but its more or less fender flares... Could always make the car wider with the right body work.

-The most popular intake manifold is the quad 4 HO swap. It is one of the best flowing intakes for this motor. It does require a little modification to work, but I think it is just drilling out one bolt hole. As far as intakes... easiest is to go to the local parts dealer and get some 3" piping, some couplers, and a cone filter. Warm air intake or cold air intake is all up to you at this point.

A lot of this stuff is in the performance section of the forum. Might have to go through a couple of pages. You can also use the search box at the top of the forum.

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 6:20 PM
Freelancer, thanks for the input thats what I was looking for. If I wanted to know how many cams this engine had, where would I look on this forum. I am working in Afghanistan at the moment and we do not get alot of computer time on a small base, either the line is to long or Hodgie is blowing $#!@ at the moment. I would search all day if I had the time but thats not a luxury we have. Thanks for all your help!
Tuesday, February 01, 2011 7:30 PM
Its a twincam, DOHC engine.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search