sunfire ecotec swap - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
sunfire ecotec swap
Sunday, February 20, 2011 7:44 AM
Ok so I've searched and searched but came up with almost nothing. I see nearly everyone swapping sunfire ecotec engines, sunfire dashs, and sunfire bumper/headlights, but nothing about swapping a 2003+ sunfire ecotec engine into a 1999 sunfire. I know its possible, I just want some information on how much work is involved. If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it very much, thanks

Re: sunfire ecotec swap
Sunday, February 20, 2011 7:47 AM
just search for 99 cavy to ecotec its the same thing

Sig thanks to bxmobkrazey on gmscf.com
Sunday, February 20, 2011 7:53 AM
Aright am I correct by saying I have to swap out (other than the engine, engine harness, and transmission) every wiring harness? Or can I leave the 99 dash and dash harness? Im hoping since they're both sunfires that maybe the the 99 dash to engine connector is the same as the 04 Im getting the engine from
Sunday, February 20, 2011 7:55 AM
All Harnesses, trans, mounts, engine, fuel tank, fuel lines, gauges.

Pretty much everything that bolts onto the car has to come off and be swapped over. I did it and its alot of work. Id try and find a 2k-up cav/sunfire and swap that. Then its an easy day job
Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:00 AM
If its just a matter of unbolting things from the 2004 and bolting them onto the 1999 then I can manage that. Is that the extent of the swap or will I have to modify anything to work? I am getting the whole car so I will have everything I need. Thanks for the info so far, I've found zero help everywhere else I've looked
Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:26 AM
Check the third gen forum...its in there...

It is as easy as unbolting and bolting up....realy isnt that hard but is still a fair amount of work.

You do have to cut off the trans mounts and weld new ones on is a new position. I have made a thread in the trans forum about it and detailed pics.

Thats the real only modifying.
Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:47 AM
Im going through your post now about your engine swap. I didntt think I would have to change the trans mount since they're both autos tho
Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:55 AM
Also since the 04 has all the same interior options (manual windows, electric door locks, all that bs), would I have to change the interior harness? Do they have the same connectors?
Sunday, February 20, 2011 9:09 AM
All the same connectors....you have to change the entire body harness, interior harness and engine harness. Strip your car to a shell and then the 04 to a shell and swap parts
Sunday, February 20, 2011 3:27 PM
Im not doubting what you say, I've never done this swap before. But since all the connectors are the same, wouldn't the body harness be the same? I need as little downtime as possible with this car so I'm trying to fully understand.
Sunday, February 20, 2011 3:44 PM
Rick Alexander wrote:Im not doubting what you say, I've never done this swap before. But since all the connectors are the same, wouldn't the body harness be the same? I need as little downtime as possible with this car so I'm trying to fully understand.

then you might want to have a 2nd car handy

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!

Sunday, February 20, 2011 3:50 PM
I have a truck, its my girl's car and it has almost 200,000 miles. There are so many problems with her car, but all would be fixed if I did the swap. I know it will take some time, but I don't want this to be a half-year project. The donor car has EVERYTHING I need for the swap, so its not about gathering parts
Sunday, February 20, 2011 6:48 PM
u need to swap every piece of wiring.

look up a thread in photo's and videos called "eco vert" or something like that.....did it last year, not really that much fun lol imo, unless ur attached to the car, just buy a new one.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search