did i just make a mistake with this exhaust? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
did i just make a mistake with this exhaust?
Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:38 AM
I have a 2000 cavalier sedan 2.2 w/ a short ram air intake, 56mm tb, and 200,000 miles (i know, whats the point in fixing it up right? i really like this car for some reason reliable and good fuel mileage). i just ordered a cat back exhaust off of ebay for $110 shipped. Its an n1 style muffler and 2.25" piping. A guy at a custom exhaust shop told me to go with the 2.25" instead of the 2.5" piping. He said I would loose a good amount of torque with the larger piping. he said it would would be counter productive.
1.)any idea of what it will sound like just bolting it to the stock cat forward exhaust?
2.)are the bolts bolting the exhaust to the cat special or can they be replaced with regular bolts if i have to cut them off?
3.)should i have gone with the bigger piping if im planning on cat forward (header, cat, resonator) later?
I dont have the funds to get too deep into modding this car with a family. I probably with stick with the full exhaust and intake for now, get a lower mileage motor, fix up the outside, and fix the annoying power steering leak (leaking near the rack and pinion i think not by the pump).
thanks for the help.

-2000 cavalier 2.2l 3 speed base sedan silver
-U.S.A Love it or leave it

Re: did i just make a mistake with this exhaust?
Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:58 AM
you are fine with what you chose. your not goin forced induction, you should be fine w/ your 2.2

Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:04 PM
the only thing is being only $110 on ebay i wouldnt be suprised if it rust out in about a year or two
Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:46 PM
bradley weigelt wrote:
1.)any idea of what it will sound like just bolting it to the stock cat forward exhaust?
2.)are the bolts bolting the exhaust to the cat special or can they be replaced with regular bolts if i have to cut them off?
3.)should i have gone with the bigger piping if im planning on cat forward (header, cat, resonator) later?

1.) loud. raspy. think all the hondas you ever hear that soud like a pissed off chainsaw wielding mosquito over a 1950's loudspeaker.
2.) you can use any hardware of appropriate size, however stainless is a good idea, as is anti-seize in case you ever need to take it apart.
3.) no. the ohv likes 2.25" exhaust.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search