performance on a budget - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
performance on a budget
Saturday, February 26, 2011 10:55 AM
I am glad you guys are here cause all my friends drive imports and fords and I won't do either I bought a 2001 z-24 cavalier. Don't know much about the 4 cyl what kind of mods can i start doing to get more pep in her step? I have a magna flow exhaust and cold air intake and that's about it. I would like to make it a daily driver but still be able to put it down ans surprise people. What kind of turbo's and intercoolers can i use? it has 123k on it. Is there a place you recommend to rebuild or already have them built with turbo's? I live in Iowa. Any help would b much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: performance on a budget
Saturday, February 26, 2011 12:27 PM
Best place to start? Read all the stickies in the performance, boost, third gen, transmission, and suspension forums.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, February 26, 2011 12:38 PM
marion, iowa eh? nice to see another iowan here!!!! do you know brad chandler or eric spitznogle? they both live in or near cedar rapids is why i ask and since ur close... unfortunately im clear over here on the western edge next to nebraska.

anyways as for as cheap and performance both should never be used in the same sentence but you are on the right track with at least the cheaper of the mods you can do. next thing id say get some engine and trans mounts. and the biggest thing.. since ur up there in mileage KEEP THE OIL FULL AT ALL TIMES AND KEEP IT REGULARLY CHANGED.

if you are serious about the rebuild i can put in you contact with one hell of a machinist over by you that does extraordinary work on quad 4s/twin cams.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, February 26, 2011 12:40 PM

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing
Saturday, February 26, 2011 1:58 PM
z yaaaa wrote:anyways as for as cheap and performance both should never be used in the same sentence

x2. Cheap, reliable, fast.

pick 2 of the three

Best bet would be motor mounts && secret cam swap. The two of them together should give you more power and make the car more responsive without breaking the bank.

Eat my shift
Monday, February 28, 2011 2:50 PM
I have a 98 automatic cavalier what are some good performance upgrades I could do?

98 cavalier
Custom interior
Custom CAI
NGK spark plug wire set
2 12 in alpine type 2
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search