97 Sunfire NO SPARK - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 Sunfire NO SPARK
Monday, June 23, 2008 9:37 AM
Hello, new guy here.

I have a 1997 Sunfire auto that I bought cheap and trying to put together. I have NO SPARK and am losing my mind with this one. Here is what I have done so far:

-Changed out coil packs and module
-Replaced ignition switch (passlock)
-Verified injector pulse at all injectors (crank sensor operation)
-Verified power going to module

I do have the THEFT light on consistantly, but I verified fuel pump operation, injector pulse, and fuel pressure. I was told passlock shuts down injectors and fuel pump not the spark. I tried passlock relearn but the theft light with not go out or even blink. Any help on where to go next will be a great help. I am lost on where to go next. BCM? Instrument cluster? Thanks.

Re: 97 Sunfire NO SPARK
Monday, June 23, 2008 11:33 AM
did you do a compression check?

Monday, June 23, 2008 11:58 AM
Yes. Compression was decent. The problem is not compression related it is spark. I have fuel pressure and injector pulse. From what I under stand I should not have either is it is a theft system issue.
Monday, June 23, 2008 12:45 PM
You don't have a BCM, so I wouldn't worry about that.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, June 23, 2008 1:12 PM
What do you mean the car doesn't have a BCM. Body control Module. All of these cars have BCM' s that if they are swapped from another car need to be flashed before they will let the car run. This is where the pcm is housed.
Monday, June 23, 2008 2:50 PM
unless you have swapped over every wire from a 2000+ car, you do not have a bcm. 99- did not have bcms, only the ecm in the front passenger side fender.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, June 23, 2008 4:11 PM
Ok I might be slightly misunderstanding the Haynes manual but they called it a BCM. I was told that the Theft system on these cars does not disable the spark, only injectors and fuel. Any ideas on what I should check first.
Thursday, June 26, 2008 8:00 AM
Well I have replaced the:

Coil packs with module
Crank Sensor
Cam Sensor

and still no spark. I have power to the coil. I have power at all three fuse locations for ignition. The fuel pump is cycling properly. I still have the theft light on and relearn will not work. ANY help will be greatly appreciated. I am at a lost here. I know the parts that were changed are correct and good.
Tuesday, March 01, 2011 1:14 PM
Im having this same issue, i did a swap from a 95 2.2 to a 97 2.4 and no spark, did you ever find an answer? if so please let me know, im at a loss as well...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search