My 2000...dash falling apart, but gets great mileage. - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My 2000...dash falling apart, but gets great mileage.
Sunday, February 20, 2011 3:50 PM
Hey all, I have known about this site for awhile, but thought I'd join since I'm on several sites for my "other car." I currently have a 2-door 2000 Cavalier that is dark green with 168,000 miles on it. First of all, the car is completely stock (minus the radio) down to the hubcaps since it's my daily driver. I have searched this forum to death about the "dash crack" and I'm no stranger to it since I used to own a 97 Z24 before the engine went. My 2000 had the dash crack when I bought it and of course it's gotten worse. What I didn't realize though and what I can't seem to find in the searches is that it's not just a cosmetic thing, but the entire dash body on the inside is cracking all over the place. All I can find is most owners talking about how unsightly the crack is in the panel and how to cover that up, but not many are talking about the structural issues in the dash itself. I recently installed an aftermarket CD player (after the stock tape deck went) and after removing the dash pad, the damage was very clear. I counted 36 cracks/breaks in my dash body. Even the supports around the airbag are broke all the way through. The corner support areas for the dash are broke in about 3-4 places as well as several areas around the ductwork and instrument cluster. Even the section around the glove box door is cracking and that is some thick plastic. The radio bezel has about 15 stress cracks in it and that was BEFORE I removed it. As for the rest of the interior in my Cavalier, there is no damage whatsoever and the car has never been wrecked. On the outside, the paint is falling off of the top surfaces (except the hood) and there are a few dings/dents. I'll try to get some pictures posted soon but I'm sure most of you have seen stock Cavaliers. I'm just curious if anyone else's dash body is cracked that badly on the inside, not just the panel at the top. When you take off the dash pad in my car, the dash sinks in a little towards the middle. I really think the pad holds it all together.

So far, all the Cavaliers I come across in the junk yard that have a cracked panel have the same structural cracking as mine, so I've yet to actually find a good useable dash body. I did however cover the panel at the windshield with matching headliner material for now which makes it look better, but I'm waiting for the day that the dash falls in the floorboard while I'm driving. Other than that, it's a 2.2 and runs and drives like new and has never had any major mechanical work. I did find a factory spoiler to put on it since I have a Cavalier with no spolier and I think they look better with the spoiler. It just looks like something is missing without it.

Cavaliers I've owned: 1984 Silver Type-10, 1989 White 2-door RS, 1990 Red 2-door, 1997 Red Z24, and now a 2000 Green 2-door.

2000 2.2 3 speed 2-door, Stock...

Re: My 2000...dash falling apart, but gets great mileage.
Wednesday, March 02, 2011 4:37 PM
Here are a few pics of how it looked when I first got it. It's not much obviously since it's stock, but I've got some plans for it in the near future.

2000 2.2 3 speed 2-door, Stock...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search