New Here. Cobalt SS Owner Building a Autox Jbody. - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New Here. Cobalt SS Owner Building a Autox Jbody.
Friday, April 29, 2011 9:17 PM
Hello Folks. I am new here. Popular poster over on CSS.NET (same username) I own a 09 Cobalt SS Turbo. 332 whp dynoed a few years back. Do a fair bit of solo sprint however i do not feel like beating on my new-er car anymore. Specially since its my DD.

So. i am looking to build a J-BODY. find something for around 0-1000 dollars. 5 speed.

Now heres what i would like to do.

Preferably turbo it, just to get some more power. something small to keep it lag free.

Perform well on the course (suspension, light weight rims so forth)

I am partial knowledgeable with the L61 So i was hoping to get a cav with one. However it looks like the 03+ are out of my price range (that i want to spend on the vehicle its self)

Can a l61 swap into a j body?

Is there anything in particular i should look for when picking up a cavalier?

Any and all information would be great. I see you guys have lots of information on this site. very refreshing

Re: New Here. Cobalt SS Owner Building a Autox Jbody.
Friday, April 29, 2011 9:25 PM
a 2000+ jbody will accept and l61 very well.

you can find late 2002's with it as well. The l61 is pretty strong in these cars. there are people who will tell y ou that the ld9 is the better way to go. big debate here. where are you from. you should be able to find 2003's for 1500ish if you look hard enough.

i just supercharged my l61 with 110K on the clock, and its strogner then ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, April 29, 2011 9:29 PM

Friday, April 29, 2011 9:34 PM
Very cool and good information. I am from Winnipeg Canada.

here are some pictures of my car. keep the good information coming!

Friday, April 29, 2011 9:44 PM
Whats the differences for a L61 dropping into a 2000 or less compared to a 2000 or up? Are the mounts the same from 2000+ or is there serious modification to make a l61 fit in a 2000+??
Saturday, April 30, 2011 7:40 AM
bump.

If i buy a 96 cav, Do i have to run a standalone. since my trifecta/HPTUNERS is unable to tune it due to being obd1?
Sunday, May 01, 2011 9:18 AM
My god your car is amazing in the first pic!

Sunday, May 01, 2011 10:41 AM
Jordan Penner wrote:Whats the differences for a L61 dropping into a 2000 or less compared to a 2000 or up? Are the mounts the same from 2000+ or is there serious modification to make a l61 fit in a 2000+??

You have to rewire the entire car to be like a 2000+ as they use a PCM/BCM setup rather than just an ECM. Or you could mod a 2200 harness to run the Eco. Look in the tuning forum for the write-up. Its not hard if are competent with wiring and have a tuner.

If you buy a 96 youll have to repin the harness to match a 97 OBDII or change the harness over to a 95 OBDI one. 96 has a bastard child OBD system.

Sunday, May 01, 2011 11:35 PM
I just got home from my Solo 2 opener and to ease the boredom on the drive home i decided on what i would to if i built a 100% dedicated Solo 2 J-body. I'd cage the car, swap in a LE61(LE5 bottom end, L61 head & requires and external 6+1 trigger wheel to run the stock j-body L61 ECU), NWF swap(front) & IRS swap(rear) with STD coil-over, and i might try my luck on a "cleaned up" OBX diff. All of the info can for that build is on the site

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, May 02, 2011 7:13 PM

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Monday, May 02, 2011 2:26 PM
I happen to have a trigger wheel I want rid of too.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search