easy mods - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
easy mods
Monday, May 09, 2011 3:41 PM
hey i got a 2004 sunfire 2.2 liter ecotec 5 speed, i was just wondering what are some easy mods to do to it while it is completly stock ? my friend was telling me how a colbalt supercharger would fit on my car/ is this true ?

Re: easy mods
Monday, May 09, 2011 4:02 PM
Cobalt's and cavalier's engines are in no way similar. I would do some sweet tribal graphics and chrome wheels.

Monday, May 09, 2011 4:31 PM
You can put a cobalt supercharger on the L61.

Easiest mod is an intake.

Depends on what you plan to do with it. If you have power goals in mind there are a lot of people that can help.

If you have goals for looks, there are a lot of people that can help with that also.

if you want to mod your car for the sake of modding, visit your local autozone and purchase just about whatever is on the shelves.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Monday, May 09, 2011 4:58 PM
The supercharger question has been answered.
As for modding well before you do anything i suggest you take a look around this site you the search and ask questions. There's a lot to be learned
here and people who have a lot of advice and answers. You sound like you kinda new to modding so before you do anything do some research on your car.
Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:47 PM
Mike wrote:Cobalt's and cavalier's engines are in no way similar. I would do some sweet tribal graphics and chrome wheels.

I second this.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:02 PM
jamie fix wrote:
Mike wrote:Cobalt's and cavalier's engines are in no way similar. I would do some sweet tribal graphics and chrome wheels.

I second this.

And you both are wrong. Both cars use L61 Ecotecs(the same engine) and quite alot of Ecotec parts are swappable between different engine sizes.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:36 PM
I am fully aware that they are similar. My post was sarcastic.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:42 AM
you would better off buying a car with a 3800 engine with a supercharger.... its not worth at least $2500 or more to supercharged the 2.2 for what 40-50 hp?... i used to owned 2000 regal gs for 2 yrs yrs and just sold it a month ago cause i had to downsized every thing because the ex g/f left and was counting on 2 incomes to make every thing easy... time to find a new one lol... here are the pics of the regal gs i had.. i have hit 14.1 1/4 mile at 97 mph not bad for 3600 lbs car... i will buy me another one next yr or so when i get loaded again... http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/ll430/crossout80/?albumview=slideshow

2000 base cavalier 3 speed auto at 212,100 as of 1/24/12
2000 Buick regal gs (Supercharged) 150,000 miles http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/ll430/crossout80/?albumview=slideshow
Saturday, May 14, 2011 9:52 PM
U could start by upgrading plugs and wires,intake and and exaust are the 2 easiest
Sunday, May 15, 2011 1:24 PM
As many have said already, get an intake for starters. It will give a tad more oomph and a better sound to the engine. It will also change the look of the engine bay pretty drastically.

I recommend doing some research and planning before you jump into modding though. Decide what you want to do and in what order. Most importantly... do it right the first time! Don't take shortcuts i.e. cutting your stock springs to lower your Sunfire because you don't have money for a quality aftermarket setup. Use quality name brand parts and make sure they are installed properly. If you're short on money... save until you can afford to do it right or don't do it at all.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 1:54 PM
yeah definatly an intake, but for exhaust im not sure what i want. i know that it would be really easy to put headers on it lol. but for a sound im not sure if i want to put somthing like a thrust or a magnaflow on it, or a boom tube aka fart can.. ?

Sunday, May 15, 2011 2:01 PM
justin keirstead wrote:yeah definatly an intake, but for exhaust im not sure what i want. i know that it would be really easy to put headers on it lol. but for a sound im not sure if i want to put somthing like a thrust or a magnaflow on it, or a boom tube aka fart can.. ?

As far as the exhaust goes, I would recommend from personal experience either sticking with the factory exhaust or at the very least getting something aftermarket that is quiet. The Thrush Super Turbo mufflers are pretty popular around here and are supposed to be fairly quiet. If I had to do it over again, I would not put a Magnaflow exhaust on my Sunfire. It was way too loud for a 4 cylinder and it was so annoying and droning when driving down the road. It also drew too much attention from the cops. If you do go with an aftermarket exhaust, don't use a fart can. Get a normal oval bodied muffler.

Also, FYI... J-Bodies have a single header, not headers .

Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:17 PM
J TO ENVY wrote:As many have said already, get an intake for starters. It will give a tad more oomph and a better sound to the engine. It will also change the look of the engine bay pretty drastically.

I recommend doing some research and planning before you jump into modding though. Decide what you want to do and in what order. Most importantly... do it right the first time! Don't take shortcuts i.e. cutting your stock springs to lower your Sunfire because you don't have money for a quality aftermarket setup. Use quality name brand parts and make sure they are installed properly. If you're short on money... save until you can afford to do it right or don't do it at all.

Yea i second the cutting springs part, my friend talked me into cutting mine and needless to say 4 months later i had to replace 4 tires and new struts...SO! do it right the first time
Monday, May 16, 2011 3:50 PM
i definatly want something with sound like a nice deep rumble, i had 1999 sunfire with a HKS exhaust on it and it was fairly loud from the caddy back. i just want a bit of sound so idk what to get as of right now.
Monday, May 16, 2011 7:48 PM
i got a ebay fart can and im happy with it..lol i do play to upgrade it in the future but it works for now..
Monday, May 16, 2011 8:03 PM
I hate the "Itll work for now" mentality. Why spend money knowingly half assing something if youre just going to change it later. Could half ass it 7 times or do it right once. But thats just me.

If youre looking to do a proper exhaust a Dynomax Super Turbo is supposed to be the best muffler out there for a mild tone under cruising but sounding aggressive when you want it to. Do that with the longest Cherry Bomb you can fit behind the cat and before the muffler.

Thats how Id do it but I wouldnt want my car to sound like a bunch of raspy pissed off wasps cruising on the highway. In the end its all what you want to do.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 7:25 AM
so i should go with the dnyomax super turbo ?
Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:55 PM
Just search around the performance forum. Just type in dynomax and see what everyone is saying about it. Ive heard nothing but good things about it but youll have to do your own research and make your own decision since youre spending the money sir. Best of luck.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 5:35 AM
I don't know about you huys but a buddy got me a n1 muffler as a gift and its got a nice low deep tone its just a little too loud, need a long resonator to tone it down, funny thing cause I was litteraly gonna order some twinloop duals that weekend

Modding my j since I found the org
Sunday, May 22, 2011 9:10 AM
Tinkles(now with Boost Face) wrote:
jamie fix wrote:

I second this.

And you both are wrong. Both cars use L61 Ecotecs(the same engine) and quite alot of Ecotec parts are swappable between different engine sizes.

And my post was about sweet graphics, and chrome wheels.
Y u b buggin, bro? =p

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search