97 Cav hesitaing low load - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 Cav hesitaing low load
Friday, May 13, 2011 8:31 AM
Hello All,
I have a 97 cavalier 2.2L engnie, 5 speed manual, 180,000+ miles. I have searched through the forum and not have found anything that exactly matches my issue. When driving the car down a large hill i take my foot off the gas and coast. When I start to feather the trottle to engage the engine it starts to sputter and hesitate. I wil then press the pedal harder and and it will run fine, like it pushed through the problem.

From what i can gather from the forum posts i read it may be that the fuel system may be clogged and not enough fuel is getting through when lightly pushing the pedal. The problen is that i would think it would do it a lot then when idling. It only occasionally does it while idling.

The fuel filter on this has never been changed and will be trying to do this tonight. I attemted this about 1 year ago and it was stuck on and i could find no easy way to get it off so left it.

My questions are:
1) Does anyone know an easy way to remove a stuck fuel filter on this car?
2) What other things should i be looking at that could be causng this problem?

Thank you,

Re: 97 Cav hesitaing low load
Friday, May 13, 2011 9:54 AM
1. Soak a rag in PB Blaster, wrap it around both ends, let it sit. Should aid in removal.
2. Throttle position sensor.

Friday, May 13, 2011 10:02 AM
Lanman31337 - Cavfire wrote:1. Soak a rag in PB Blaster, wrap it around both ends, let it sit. Should aid in removal.

also, copious amounts of explicatives.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, May 14, 2011 9:58 PM
i actually just had this problem but my head gasket was leaking and after i fixed all that (head resurfacing,gaskets, coolant fush,thermostat and so on) i havnt had that problem but it also helped that i changed my plug wires
Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:47 AM
Well i did the fuel filter... and totally hosed the quick connect line from the tank. Is there anyway to splice this line or do i need to drop the tank and replace the whole thing?
Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:40 PM
I found out that Dorman sells the exact piece i hosed up. (800-025 retaining clip). I am going to pick one of these up right after work and see if i can replace that and get the fuel filter back on. i am pumped i did not want to replace that fuel line.
Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:45 AM
Looks like i will be having to replace the fuel line after all. The quick connect is to bent out of shape to get the new filter into it.

Will i be able to lower the fuel tank enough without taking it off to remove the fuel line?

Do i just need to unhook the filler hose, air hose and straps to just lower the tank? Or am i missing something?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search