Low mpg? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Low mpg?
Saturday, May 21, 2011 6:00 PM
So I have a 2001 base auto sedan cavy and I think my mpg is pretty low for the car. Right now I am averaging 23 miles per gallon. It's not throwing any codes and has been like this for a while. When I first bought the car I was getting almost 30 mpg for the first few months, then it dropped and has been there ever since. That was almost 2 years ago, and im kinda new on here and wanted to see if anyone could help! Also, engine (2.2 ohv) is pretty stock, head gasket was just replaced less than 1000 miles ago.

Re: Low mpg?
Saturday, May 21, 2011 6:36 PM
full tune up. plugs, wires, air/fuel/oil filters, pcv, throttle body cleaner, and a can of sea foam.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, May 21, 2011 7:56 PM
Gets new ACDelco oil filters every oil change (about 3000 miles), new air filter or cleaned K&N every oil change, New platinum plus plugs and wires about a year ago, and I run a bottle of lucus through it every few months.

Saturday, May 21, 2011 9:26 PM
o2 sensor possibly? i kno mine was drinking gas when it was going out
Sunday, May 22, 2011 11:34 AM
I was thinking that it might be that but there wasn't any codes so i wasn't sure. Any perticular brads you guys think I should look at?

Sunday, May 22, 2011 11:37 AM
I heard that the o2 sensor may have caused it but the car hasn't throwen any codes to trigger the check engine light so I wasn't sure. Is there any specific brands you guys think I should look at if I pick one up?

Sunday, May 22, 2011 8:31 PM
well mine set off the code after a while but it was mainly running rich, and stay away from the bosch o2 sensor, i just replaced mine a month ago and now i gotta go buy another 1...go with ac delco
Monday, May 23, 2011 9:50 AM
Sounds good. I try to stick with ACDelco unless there is something better. Mine hasn't sent any codes and it's been like this for two years. I'll check the previous owner's records (all dealer receipts) and go from there. Will probably still replace it. Definitely doing the seafoam and pcv. Got a fuel filter a while ago but never installed it, time to do that too I guess

Monday, May 23, 2011 12:48 PM
yea i picked up seafoam myself today..lol i love smokin up the neiborhood..lol
Monday, May 23, 2011 12:49 PM
Literally just filled up my tank and put seafoam in with it. But my car wasn't smoking lol

Monday, May 23, 2011 1:16 PM
i put half my can in through the brake booster. so itll run through the injectors and the other half in through my gas

Monday, May 23, 2011 6:54 PM
Andrew Knotts wrote:I heard that the o2 sensor may have caused it but the car hasn't throwen any codes to trigger the check engine light so I wasn't sure. Is there any specific brands you guys think I should look at if I pick one up?

02 sensors can malfunction for months before they throw a code. i use Denso 02s on my cars

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, May 23, 2011 9:10 PM
It's been like this going on almost three years. I'll still replace it here soon, it isn't that expensive and I've never replaced it before so I might as well do it now.

Monday, May 23, 2011 9:18 PM
Daniel Cooper wrote:i put half my can in through the brake booster. so itll run through the injectors and the other half in through my gas

On the can it says to put in the crankcase too. What is the difference in putting it in with the oil and putting it in the brake booster?

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 10:39 AM
Honestly have no idea, i learned that from a friend of mine..it seems to work so i dont bother changing it
Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:45 PM
I'll see what happens with this first can and then go from there. Definitely going to do the O2 Sensor and fuel filter. Once I get this thing running the way I like it I have some parts ready to go on. Eibach sway bars, new airbags, and if I can get my grubby paws on an lss lip kit

Friday, May 27, 2011 8:26 AM
The foam def helps when you spray it into the intake manifold so it cleans through your combustion chamber. As far as everything else, replace filters and spark plugs. If you need anything let me know.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, May 27, 2011 6:59 PM
But I replaced the spark plugs about a year and a half to two years ago?

Saturday, May 28, 2011 6:45 AM
It still may be time to do it.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, June 02, 2011 4:35 PM
The brake booster is where you put the brake fluid in right? And yes, I know, very newb question.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search