How my 1996 2.2L OHV Cavalier cheated the speed governor - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How my 1996 2.2L OHV Cavalier cheated the speed governor
Monday, May 23, 2011 7:04 PM
Hello, im new here so if I mess up the post excuse me.. I own a 1996, 2.2 liter, 5 speed, 4 door cavalier and its blue yay

Long story short I went on the highway hit 108mph and the car reduces speed no thanks to the speed governor these cars have, I was not please so I wanted a way around ti, no money so couldn't buy a "speed chip" if any were available for my car
So I thought to myself "self what if you cut the speed sensor wire and put a switch so u can turn it on and off at will"
Me did that and the results were, while I drive I hit the switch (I put it were the z24 on/off switch for the fog lights would go if mine was a z24) and the speedometer on the dash drops to zero so I wont know how fast im going but the car keeps going.

The only way to find out how fast I was going was to race someone and ask him how fast I was going lol. So I raced 3 jettas, one mk2 1.8 with clutch, 2 1/4 catback and exhaust, short shifter, msd ignition, my friends 2.0 mk3 jetta GT with under drive crank pulley, reenforced tranny, urethane engine mounts, timing sprocket and another mk3 with similar mods. I was behind the mk3 & mk2 in my cavy to watch the race next to my friend in his jetta GT hoping to be able to stay close enough to see the race since they had alot more mods than I had ( my cavy 2 1/4" exhaust from stock header to stock muffler, MSD coil packs), So the mk3 & mk2 start to race to my surprise I pass the mk3 in front of me still in second gear and started to catch up in 3rd gear the mk2 that got like 2 car lenths ahead of the mk3 from the second gear roll we all did at the same time, they look at me with a confused look in their faces lol priceless.

So I start to get to 100 mph and im ahead of all 3 jettas, my friend following me about 4 car lengths behind but in front of the other 2 jettas thinking he's gonna catch me at 108mph since his car limits at 120mph. Any other day he would of had me at 108 when the governor on my cavy kicks in, but this time it was different, I hit the switch at 105mph the speedometer went down to zero and the cavy keept going, once I was 6 car lengths ahead of my friend he calls me and tells me to stop somewhere to talk. So we stop the guys in the other 2 jettas congratulate me and I told my friend what I did to the speed sensor wire and about the switch, and asked him how fast he was going and he said his car topped of at 120mph and I was still getting away from him. that was the most awesome thing that day.

I dont know much about this stuff but if anyone knows if this trick would damage my tranny or computer please let me know, I don't recommend this since I am not 100% sure it is safe, and I wonder if theres a way to cut the speed feed to the computer from the speedometer instead of the way I did it from the speed sensor wire, that way I would know how fast im going, any ideas or comments welcome. total money spent on this "modd" 3 bucks plus tax & 50 cents for some black electric tape lol.

Re: How my 1996 2.2L OHV Cavalier cheated the speed governor
Monday, May 23, 2011 7:06 PM
IN before the lock AND THE BAN !

Monday, May 23, 2011 7:09 PM
you were doing 120 in a cavalier, how safe do you think you were?

Monday, May 23, 2011 7:14 PM
Will I get banned for posting this?
sorry about that .....If so then how do I delete the post?

Monday, May 23, 2011 7:17 PM
you cant.. your lucky your a newbie. maybe they may be easy with you. you can only edit on these forums if your a paid premium member. and also.. i like your attitude. you didnt get all butt hurt like some people

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, May 23, 2011 7:18 PM

I have a couple of more suicide missions for you if your interested.

Monday, May 23, 2011 7:22 PM
lol no thanks, ill keep it to myself next time

Monday, May 23, 2011 7:23 PM
Hey for the next one, cut your airbag wires too!
Monday, May 23, 2011 7:24 PM
give him some slack.. at least hes not all pissy about it. haha

Monday, May 23, 2011 7:28 PM
"How many rules can I break in one post" post?

2010 Honda Fit LX

Monday, May 23, 2011 8:02 PM
hey it was fun when i hit over 125 mph on my supercharged Buick regal gs glad the tires was rated to withstand up to 149 mph make sure your tires are rated for high speeds...that's the last thing you need a freaking tire blow out!! i blew one of my rear tire with a cavalier and man at 70 mph i was going side ways and glad the abs works well! and no cars was around me at that time...

2000 base cavalier 3 speed auto at 212,100 as of 1/24/12
2000 Buick regal gs (Supercharged) 150,000 miles http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/ll430/crossout80/?albumview=slideshow
Monday, May 23, 2011 8:19 PM
And here I was thinking he was a troll... until his second post anyway...

Congrats, you beat a 2.slow.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Monday, May 23, 2011 8:24 PM
For a 2.2 econocar sedan I think my cav did pretty decent...

Monday, May 23, 2011 8:28 PM
17 second car meet 16 second car.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Monday, May 23, 2011 11:12 PM
you street race in a cavalier your a loser
Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:46 AM
im not the first nor the last to do so... Anyway that happened 4 years ago, I no longer race the cavy it sits quietly in my front yard until I get back from my studies outside de US. I witnessed a 6 car accident one day and decided not go go there anymore...Bu I still think the info would be useful for those who have a fast cavy that limits before they reach the 1/4 mile in the track. like many turbo ones that have this problem with the govenor..

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:59 AM
"Do not feel safe doing 70mph in a cavalier" crew checking it

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 6:34 AM
IgettocallyouaDOUCHEbeforethelock
Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:25 AM
On a serious note... for once in my life...

I like how you "defeated" the governor. I don't Think I would of thought of it.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 10:43 AM
Cmon guys lay off. Atleast hes not being a @!#$tick about this like every other person.

You wont get banned and this thread more than likely will not get locked. Please read the rules and happy foruming.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:36 AM
cavalierblue wrote:Bu I still think the info would be useful for those who have a fast cavy that limits before they reach the 1/4 mile in the track. like many turbo ones that have this problem with the govenor..

Those people who own/build those cars already know how to "defeat" the governor the right way.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:27 PM
[quote=Tinkles(now with Boost Face)
Those people who own/build those cars already know how to "defeat" the governor the right way.
Truth. If you have the knowledge, skills and equipment to build a car that NEEDS the top speed limiter taken care of, you will also have the knowledge, skills and equipment to do so. eliminating the wheel speed sensor on a stock cavalier is not cool, safe, or legal.
Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:49 PM
Will do, thanks

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:58 PM
My tires were 225/40 Z18" so the car felt really stable at high speeds, the front strut bar and progress lowering springs also helped improve the overall ride of the car... Those Buick are awesome, a guy I know has a grand national that broke the rails on his driver's seat because of its torque

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search