Passlock Problem - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Passlock Problem
Saturday, June 04, 2011 10:10 AM
1998 Cav- base sedan 2.2 liter
Bought the car last November with blown engine - put in a (relatively) new engine and it started up first try and has run like a champ up until last week.

Daughter was driving it and was plastered (Another issue for another time and place) - anyways, she claims the car just died while she was driving along and would not restart. She can't remember anything precipitating the stall. The car had to be towed and it still will not start.

I have the car in my backyard and cannot get the thing to start - the anti-theft light is on steady - does not flash - the car cranks, has spark and good air - but no fuel. I am assuming the anti-theft has shut down the injectors. I have tried the reset routines - the 10 minute and the thirty minute to no avail - the anti-theft light remains steady and the car cranks - but does not start. I have removed the battery completely and left it out for hours trying to reset the computer to no avail

What I have done (discovered): I discovered that the data link fuse (cig lighter) was blown and replaced it along with ALL of the fuses in the car. I replaced the fuel filter thinking maybe it was clogged. I found a loose vacuum hose from the air intake and reconnected it.

I took the clam shell off the steering column and discovered that the yellow wire which I am assuming is the data wire for the anti-theft has been cut and taped.....as a matter of fact, the black and the white wire were cut also and spliced back together.

I have been scouring the web and find all kinds of info on by-passing the system with resistors and this and that - as well as I have read numerous times that the yellow wire should be cut when the car is running - - but no answers or solutions if the wire has already been cut.

I spliced the yellow wire back together and went through the 10 minute and thirty minute routine and again, the car will crank but not start, however, now every once in a while it does turn over and dies within seconds.

I really hope someone can help me out here - I don't really have the money to tow the thing to a dealer and I don't really have the money to buy another car right now. I have been working on cars since 1975 and never have had this much trouble.

Re: Passlock Problem
Wednesday, June 08, 2011 4:47 PM
2 questions... do you have voltage AT the fuel pump and hear it run, and two does the car have fuel in it?

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, July 04, 2011 9:24 PM
i am having this same sort of problem on my 99 z24, i replaces my engine on thhe weekend with one from a 98 sunfire gt, i also swapped the interior including the gauges, witch im asuming set off the passlock, however the reset procedure does not fix my problem. will run for 2 seconds and die on the first start attempt then crank and no start after the second. does anyone know if the crank cam position sensors could cause this problem, i didnt switch the crank sensor because it broke off in my old block, and didnt bother with the cam? or would it likely just be passlock related?
Tuesday, July 05, 2011 3:26 AM
Are you using a 99 crank sensor?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, July 05, 2011 9:59 PM
no 98 sensor right now, the 99 sensor was rusted into the block and broke off, do you think this could cause my problem?
Wednesday, July 06, 2011 6:10 AM
YES!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, July 07, 2011 10:11 PM
a 98 sensor would cause a run and die like the the theft lock does? havent done mutch screwing around with anything this "new" before, switched my guages back, theft light is on but not flashing.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search