99 z24 and 98 LS 2.4 - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
99 z24 and 98 LS 2.4
Saturday, June 11, 2011 6:25 AM
Newb here, i will try and find all answers first before i post a question, but heres my first of im sure many.
I bought a 4 door 98 LS cav which has a 2.4 in it (was told its the same drive line as Z24) origionally for a cheaper gas guzzler(,I have an 09 ram 5.7 hemi) anyway, i drove the car for a few days, actually love it (although the frt exhaust rusted off right at the manifold, not cool... so I took it off the road for a few days and thats when i found a 99 Z24 sitting on the road for sale... lots of Km's but overall cooler at least than my white four dr. (Z24 is 2dr black/sunroof etc) I wanted to change a few things on the Z, but thats when i noticed the fuel filter was way different then the other one,( looks like a black box on the 99) Is there a major diference between the 2 cars? or if anyone knows , of a past post that has the listed differences, that would be even better.
thanks in advance, and awesome info site, with a lot of cool looking cars!

Re: 99 z24 and 98 LS 2.4
Saturday, June 11, 2011 12:23 PM
that black box isnt a filter.. its your charcoal canister. the 98 most likely has it hidden inside the pass side fender.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 7:02 PM
azncav wrote:that black box isnt a filter.. its your charcoal canister. the 98 most likely has it hidden inside the pass side fender.

yep, it's a charcoal canister. The fuel filter should also be under there. It is normally silver... or rust color, lol. Round and in about the same place as the 98... The 1998 and the 1999 models do have a couple of differences. 1999 was a transition year to the 2000+ electronics and all that other junk. The 99 has a plastic fuel tank, different fuel pump, No EGR, digital odometer(some 98's had a digital odometer as well), different fuel injectors, and a couple of other small things here and there. I know the differences were posted somewhere, but figured I would list whatever I can remember. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Monday, June 13, 2011 6:04 AM
Thanks, i will check out more of the past posts, but at least i have some ideas...
Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:45 AM
Freelancer1988 wrote:
azncav wrote:that black box isnt a filter.. its your charcoal canister. the 98 most likely has it hidden inside the pass side fender.

yep, it's a charcoal canister. The fuel filter should also be under there. It is normally silver... or rust color, lol. Round and in about the same place as the 98... The 1998 and the 1999 models do have a couple of differences. 1999 was a transition year to the 2000+ electronics and all that other junk. The 99 has a plastic fuel tank, different fuel pump, No EGR, digital odometer(some 98's had a digital odometer as well), different fuel injectors, and a couple of other small things here and there. I know the differences were posted somewhere, but figured I would list whatever I can remember. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

99s still had the metal tank and old pump style. Not all 99s had the high impedance injectors and lack of EGR. Ive seen them both ways.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:48 AM
DSMskyline wrote:
Freelancer1988 wrote:

99s still had the metal tank and old pump style. Not all 99s had the high impedance injectors and lack of EGR. Ive seen them both ways.

All 99 model year J-bodies had metal gas tanks, high impedance injectors, no EGR, one wire front o2 sensor, small starter, e-Vap canister in the rear. 99s had the same fuel level sensor as 00-02s as well. Digital Odometers, 99-02 (small) knock sensor, 99-02 Head casting number (779), and flat top pistons. Other GM LD9s from 99 may have EGR, and other variations.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Sunday, June 19, 2011 7:47 PM
I have personally worked on a few 99s that had low impedance injectors and a EGR. 99 was a bastard year for the J body just like 94 (?) was for the S-10.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search