Hello...new here. - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hello...new here.
Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:38 PM
Hi there. I'm going to start this off by saying I'm a complete moron when it comes to cars. My dad and brother have always been the ones to take care of my car. Anyway,you all are impressive! I have a 2002 Cavalier LS Sport, 4 speed automatic. This is my second Cav--my first was a 1991. I got it in 2003, with 5k miles and rebuilt after a fender bender. It's got about 90k miles on it now. I really like it, it's always run well, and am hoping I can keep it for awhile longer. Since I'm a car moron, I don't work on it myself (other than installing wipers! Lol!) but I need to feel less stupid before taking it to a mechanic again because it seems to have stumped even the one GM dealer I took it to. My a/c wasn't working for about a year and a half. I also then had my DRLs conk out. Then my high beams. I took it first to a local mechanic who replaced the body control module (which was the code coming up). This eventually stopped working. I took it to a GM dealer and they really dragged me over the coals and didn't fix anything. Finally, my dad and bro took it to a mechanic near them who replaced the wiring harness and the compressor (eeek, or condenser...see, I'm an idiot) on the car and I had DRLs and icy cold air for a litle over a year.

A few weeks ago, I turned on the car and heard the dreaded "click click click" in the instrument panel with my blinking DRL light and then the "service" light. Still had air and I don't care about DRLs anyway. Then, I was driving along on a hot day and the a/c started making a really loud racket. The next day, it wasn't cold. Fan works, but not cold.

Anyway, I've seen some things about frequent corrosion in some models...I think this is what my car's suffering from. Is there a good solution to this that will last more than a year? I'd love to hear what you experts think!!!

Thanks!

Re: Hello...new here.
Thursday, June 23, 2011 10:03 PM
The loud racket is not a good sign - leads me to think a bad compressor.
Re: Hello...new here.
Saturday, June 25, 2011 11:07 AM
Thanks! That's what I was afraid of! Is it possible that the wiring problems are frying my compressors? It's so aggravating...driving around in the heat and humidity is no fun! I guess I should at least be thankful I have a sunroof for air circulation!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search