Hope I can be accepted back - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hope I can be accepted back
Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:49 PM
I had a cavy when I was 16 and joined this forum. I lost it in an accident and got a jeep. My jeep is modded but the gas mileage is killing me. The wife and I were discussing it and we think its best to get rid of the 14mpg jeep and get a car. My first thought was how much I miss my cavy. I want another one preferable a late 90's. I will either sell my jeep or trade it for a cav with some mods. Any thing to look out for? I know about the dash cracking and that the auto transmissions can be a pain. Anything else?

Thanks and hope I can be accepted back.

I KNOW MY CAR WILL NEVER BE FAST

Re: Hope I can be accepted back
Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:41 PM
Fuel pumps on the 2.2 OHV tend to die, keep the fuel above 1/4 tank or better yet above 1/2 tank so that the fuel pump will live longer. ground problems also tend to be an issue, make sure the ground cables are in good shape and the car will last years, mine is a 96, its 15 years old and still runs like a champ. other than that the 2.2 OHV cavalier tends to be bullet proof.

Friday, June 24, 2011 5:19 AM
cavalierblue wrote:Fuel pumps on the 2.2 OHV tend to die,

uh... what? it's the same fuel pump module for the 2.4.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, June 24, 2011 5:36 AM
I'd keep an eye out for rust on the lowwer rockers, if you find a car with an LD9 thats high mileage see if they have any records on timing chain and or water pump replacement. Depending what your budget is and what you intend on modding, you might want to consider a 00-05 as you have better tuning choices. What are your plans for the car? You might want to consider a 5speed if your keeping an eye on gas mileage as you'll be able to squeeze some more mpg's out of the car.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 12:33 PM
Thanks guys. I have my eye on a 99 red 4door automatic with 108 on the clock. Seller wants 2k for it. Rust doesnt tend to be a problem here inland Florida but will check.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 12:42 PM
after 100k, make sure the timing chain was replaced... or tell him it is not worth it if it has not been maintained. Basically try and get it for lower is what I am going at if it has not been replaced. lol.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 1:02 PM
It was an ad on CL. In the emails she is saying the typical old lady to the grocery store stuff. She also said its a 2 owner vehicle. She says the dash isnt cracked either. Every cavy I have looked at in Florida has a cracked dash.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 1:21 PM
Sorry the one I was looking at is a 96 not 99

Monday, June 27, 2011 1:59 AM
Also make sure there is no "seepage" around the head and block mating area. Start her up check the oil dip stick as well. From what you are saying... Sounds like it was taken care of. Hard to find any of them these days with a good dash.

Monday, June 27, 2011 5:13 AM
travis miteen wrote:Thanks guys. I have my eye on a 99 red 4door automatic with 108 on the clock. Seller wants 2k for it. Rust doesnt tend to be a problem here inland Florida but will check.

FL you say huh i might have seen this car before

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Monday, June 27, 2011 8:34 PM
I also have my eye on this one. http://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/2462384822.html

And would buy it if my jeep was sold

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:19 AM
dash crack is not a big deal, there is a company who makes an overlay that looks stock for like $100 It comes up in google searches easy, and they posted up on here as well, I'm just too lazy to link right now I'm going to bed and posting from my phone.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 11:36 AM
My opinion:

Avoid buying / trading for a modded car (especially a cav).. its not a 240sx, unmolested ones are still plentiful.

Just start by looking for the body style you want (coupe, sedan)
Then look for the engine you want (2.2, 2.4, eco)
and trans (auto, 5 speed)

Everything else can be easily changed to your liking, so find one with the above stuff you want, then look for low mileage and good maintenance.

If I was just getting a cheap gas saver, I would probably go with a mid nineties coupe or 4 door with a 2.2 and a 5 speed.

But If I was completely replacing my DD and selling my other ride, I would prob have to go with a 03+ eco 5 speed sedan w/ a trunk swap

Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:47 PM
head gasket and timing chains also if you get a 96 ask if rack in pinion bearing has been replaced . it was a recall if not gm will do out for free. and I'd buy a 5sp stronger more fun better fuel mileage
Friday, July 01, 2011 6:20 AM
I really want a 5 speed and 2 doors. What is the better motor a 2.2 or 2.4?

Friday, July 01, 2011 6:24 AM
Also what is low mileage for a cav? I know for a jeep anything in the around 100k is low. But we are talking about a total different vehicle.

Friday, July 01, 2011 8:14 AM
2.2 but 2.4 is quicker. and lower miles is how you look at it I have relatives who think 100k is alot personally I think.anything.under.150k but if I was shopping in the 3k range id want lower miles around 100k.but miles isn't important really age and how it was treated makes the diff. but if I were you if try to stay under 120 k if you want low miles but if find a good deal with say 160k I wouldn't pass it up. mine had 206keep when I bought. but was one owner and well maintained.
Friday, July 01, 2011 8:25 AM
My first cav had the 2.2. It was good but I would like to be a little quicker then the first one. I think the 5speed will help with that too. Thanks for your help guys. Please keep the suggestions coming! They are really appreciated.

Friday, July 01, 2011 8:31 AM
o yea it will its a completely different animal. my first cavalier 96 2.2 3sp had a huge wing on the back bondo on the rocker panels goofy aftermarket mirrors and was embarrassingly slow. I was out ran by an izuzu trooper next day I soda it. lol the one I have now is a 96 2.2 5sp much more fun.
Friday, July 01, 2011 9:11 AM
I was hoping for that answer. There seems to be a lot of 2.2's in my area with auto and 5 speeds

Friday, July 01, 2011 9:32 AM
Yeah, take your time looking for the car you want. I recently got back into J-bodies. If you wait you can pick something up nice. I got my first vert for $1200 and my second for $400. They aren't my daily drivers so I wasn't too worried about the minimal work that needed to be put in. Alot of days up here in Virginia you can get a 2003 and up (ecotec) for around $2500 on craigslist.

Sig'less since '02!

Friday, July 01, 2011 9:59 AM
I would highly suggest to find an ecotec if your going to be driving it daily. Very reliable, fun, quick, good looking, all the goodies.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search