98 Cavi 2.4L to 99 GrandAm 2.4L - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 Cavi 2.4L to 99 GrandAm 2.4L
Saturday, July 02, 2011 11:58 PM
Hi everyone, I just been having hell this passed week and I hope someone can help.

My friend bought a 98 Cavalier z24, with a 2.4l motor in it, and on his way home, the car started ticking/knocking, overheating, really bad stuff. Well anyhow, he was able to get it to my house, and we went and pulled a motor out of a 97 skylark at the junkyard. Unfortunately, I found out once that motor was hooked up that it had no compression. 3 days wasted there =(.

Well, we brought the motor back to pick n pull, and got a motor out of a 99 grand am, with a digital dash. I'm not sure what the mileage was, as they didn't let us bring batteries back there, but we pulled the motor, and brought it back. The good news is it started up, the bad news....well, the intake and fuel rail were messed up on the 99 motor so here's what I did.

I swapped from the original 98 2.4l, to the 99 grandam 2.4l:
1) egr valve
2) fuel rail and injectors
3) transaxel bracket
4) flexplate
5) engine mounts
6) intake manifold (with map sensor from the 98)
7) throttle body (with tps, iac from the 98)

And well, this motor started up! Yey right? Well, it's getting compression, spark, and fuel, but here's the weird thing, it idles very badly between 2k-3k, and sounds like a lawn mower engine. I tried opening the throttle plate all the way, and it prob only gets to like 3-4k rpm before it falls off the face of the earth and sounds like it's running very badly.
To be honest, I am not sure what is going on, and the only sensor that did not plug in, was this (possibly knock sensor), on the back of the block, towards the driver side where the trans bolts up (1, possibly 2 wires). The sensor I unbolted from the 98, and tried to thread it in to the 99 motor, and the hole was too small.....

Does anyone know what is going on?
Thanks very much

Re: 98 Cavi 2.4L to 99 GrandAm 2.4L
Sunday, July 03, 2011 12:37 AM
Oh, I should also note, I did a compression test, and all 4 cylinders were around 230-240psi....that seems wayyyy too high, no?
Re: 98 Cavi 2.4L to 99 GrandAm 2.4L
Tuesday, July 05, 2011 3:27 AM
200ish is normal for LD9s.

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search