hello fom SD - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
hello fom SD
Tuesday, July 05, 2011 3:40 PM
Just wanted to say Hi.
Been roaming around for a lil while looking for ideas for the wifes 99 Sunfire coupe. Must say I am impressed at some of the stuff I have seen!
Joined when I thought we may have lost the 3-speed trans. Was looking at maybe doing a 4-speed swap. Time will tell if the 3-speed is going to last.
In the meantime I have plans for a 2.25" exhaust to go on with a ebay header. maybe on the header!
Finish up the cold air intake I have been working on and them some lil things that need to be done.
I would love to lower it but not sure what springs to go with or if lowering it would be a good thing with the wife driving it. I don't want slammed, just to sit a lil lower. any thoughts?
I am also repainting some OEM 15" 5-spoke wheels to replace the steelies and wheels covers. I also have my eyes open for some 16" or17" wheels for it.
She has watched me do up 2 cars since I have been with her and she says I always neglect hers so I figured it's time to do hers up a lil bit.
Hope to get some pics up soon!

99 SUNFIRE COUPE, 2.2L AUTO, WHITE.
BONE STOCK...............FOR NOW.

Re: hello fom SD
Tuesday, July 05, 2011 3:51 PM
welcome! where at in sd?

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 7:13 PM
welcome and can't wait to see the pictures!!!

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 9:41 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:welcome! where at in sd?

Sioux Falls

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 9:47 AM
well blow me down, im only a hop, skip, and a jump away.... near sioux city.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:27 AM
COOL!
I might have to meet up with you.
I, myself have been BIG into neons, and I have a buddy in Sioux City that is doing a SRT-4 swap in his 98. I go down once in a while to hang outand help him with it. I have built 4 neons and have owned 8. This J-body thing is new to me. The Sunfire is the wifes car and she wants me to "not neglect it anymore"
It won't be wild but I do have some plans for it.
I do have some GM history as my 2nd car was a 89 Cavalier Coupe. It was a 2.2 Auto, but it was the 1st car I modified. It was dark metallic blue. I had taillight and headlight covers on it. Hood bra and Z-24 wheels. It was also the 1st car I put a audio system it.
Man I beat the piss out of that car!
I still miss it today. The 88-90 Cavaliers will always hold a special place in my heart.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 5:35 PM
Welcome to the JBO Darrick! Great to see another Sunfire owner join!

Darrick Aulner wrote:I would love to lower it but not sure what springs to go with or if lowering it would be a good thing with the wife driving it. I don't want slammed, just to sit a lil lower. any thoughts?

A popular and cheap (price-wise) setup is KYB AGX shocks and struts with Eibach Pro Kit springs. It gives a drop of 1.4" and it rides really nice, not too bumpy at all.

If you wanted it even a little higher, you could check out the Tein H.Techs. They give a 1.1" drop. Read through the Suspension Forum and you should be able to find any information you are looking for about what setup would be best for you/your wife, etc.

Friday, July 08, 2011 10:32 AM
hope this link works!
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/Jethro1966/000_0047Medium.jpg
That is pretty much what the wifes car looks like right now and the wheels that will be going on soon.
Going to paint them
a) white
b) gunmetal
c) bronze
Not sure if I want to leave the lip polished or paint over it.
Help me decide!!!!
Hope to get pics of HER car as soon as possible. Home computer is down right now.
Open to ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me them!

Re: hello fom SD! help me with ideas!
Friday, July 08, 2011 10:34 AM
Right now I am leaning towards painting the wheels white with the polished lip.

Friday, July 08, 2011 1:19 PM
Youve got a very clean slate there. You might want to look into a 95-99 Sunfire GT or 00-02 front bumper. those two front bumpers are 10x better looking then the 95-99 Base front. just my opinion.

Keep it clean and enjoy

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Friday, July 08, 2011 1:25 PM

Friday, July 08, 2011 1:38 PM
Thanks!
I have been looking for a GT front bumper for awhile now. And one already white so I don't have to bother painting it.
The pic in the link isn't mine but is what mine looks like. bout the smae condition but mine has the orange sunfire badging and a orande pinstripe down it.
CLEAN & SIMPLE is how I like my cars!

Saturday, July 09, 2011 6:03 AM
Well it looks like it might be over before it really begins.
After numerous efforts and things tried, it looks like the trrans is gone!
She still drives but the p1870 code keeps coming up with replace transmission at the top of the list of repairs on the scan tool. 3-speeds are non-existant in the salvage yards around here and it will cost $500 shipped for one to be shipped in.
Not sure if it is really feasible to fix it? 150k on her and she needs a lil TLC. A new windshield, some lil work on the sunroof, driver fender needs to be replaced, which I already have a good white fender to go on, and some other small things.
I am leaning toward replacing the transmission and going forward with most of my plans for it but in the end it is her car and it is up to her. I do know if we fix it she will end up driving it a lil longer than she would like as a new car has to wait until after we buy a house.
thoughts and comments welcome.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search