New engine for my 95 Cav??? Suggestions??? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New engine for my 95 Cav??? Suggestions???
Monday, August 15, 2011 7:47 PM
I have a 95 Cavalier that used to be my daily driver when I was in school. The engine went to sh*t and I'm pretty sure the head gasket is blown. I have know idea what else is wrong with it. This car has been sitting in my uncles garage for almost 10 years now. He was gonna rebuild it, but now he does't have the time. Now I can either junk the car and never deal with it again or I can turn it into a project car, now that it isn't my daily driver. I am mechanically incline to a point, but I've never tried a complete overhaul. I do have buddies that are gearheads that can help. I'd like to put an engine in there that can be bolted in fairly easy and gives it more power. Stock is a 2.2 with an automatic tranny. Now I'm a firefighter and i don't make millions. I need a good suggestion from some real gearheads. What do I put in this Cav??? Thanks!!!

Re: New engine for my 95 Cav??? Suggestions???
Monday, August 15, 2011 9:28 PM
grab an 03-05 cav or sunfire donor car and swap EVERything over.

Saturday, August 20, 2011 7:13 AM
ecotec set up would be nice.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Saturday, August 20, 2011 8:21 AM
I swapped my 95 sunfire over, eco all the way!!!

Saturday, August 20, 2011 8:28 AM
How is the body/rest of the car? If it is nothing special, it would seem like a waste to put all that work and money in swapping a eco in. Sounds lke just a stock eco too. IMO, it would make more sense just to buy a cavy with a eco or even a 2.4L if you are just looking for another daily with more power. Most projects cost more than they are worth. Plus sense everything is custom, you can run into more problems with stuff not fitting proper, not working right, etc.
If that is what you want to do though, I would price everything out and see if it is worth it to you?
I've dumped almost $20000 into my truck, only have about 10000km on everything, but now dont have time or money to drive it anymore, I cant even get $5000 for it.
just my .02

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Sunday, August 21, 2011 5:27 PM
how much custom can you do yourself. Do you weld? can you fabricate? sometimes you do luck out. oddly enough on a bertta 2.2 5 speed i had a 3.1 would swap. too bad imoved in the middle of the swap and lost a bunch of stuff.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search