Rear frame shock mounts rusting - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear frame shock mounts rusting
Sunday, September 04, 2011 5:46 PM
Hi everyone. Looking to stop some rust and get the car fit for another 10 years.

The j-body seems to have a frame in the rear where the shocks mount. It's lookin very rusty to say the least. Does anyone have welding ideas for this area? I'm looking to make it a solid repair, at least as good as new. It seems like a dangerous spot for rust. Some pictures and words to describe this area would be awesome. I don't know how I can repay you for this advice. To me it is priceless. I like my car a lot and just want to keep it around at least until it needs an engine overhaul or major accident, God forbid, or something. Thanks in advance. Let me know if there is any way I can help you help me.

Re: Rear frame shock mounts rusting
Monday, September 05, 2011 5:09 PM
Cut out rust.
Weld in new metal.

That's the only way to get rid of rust...

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 3:54 AM
Most of the underbody has no rust. It's mostly the rocker panels, brake lines, and rear rails rusting. The rust is probably from salt spinning off the tires.

Anyway, I'm wondering If all I'll need to fix the rails is a portable cut-off wheel, some kind of welder, and rectangular steel tubing. I was thinking, as a last resort, renting a welder from home depot. I'm thinking I should let someone do it but have no idea how much it's worth or if it's better to fix the car OR buy a new set of problems lol.

I've looked up the rocker panel auto body parts online -JCWhitney. Confused when it says I need TWO instead of one... maybe left and right hand. Also, can't see the one part covering the whole rusted section. It looks like at least 2 parts, top and bottom.

Is there a better way to remove the rocker panels? Heating the spot weld AND cutting instead of just cutting? I guess it depends on how much the new part overlaps?

The cav has 100k+ but it's been great for A to B for 4+ years and my brother was the previous owner. I change the oil "frequently" get a couple thousand lazy now and then. I'm guessing the engine and trainy will "stick with it" for another 100k. Could do a compression test on the engine but not sure if that's the "main vein" to check. I think it is.

I love doing projects that will save me a ton of money but also could "farm this out" at the right price. Would be fun to be fun to "pad" the whole project with some nice "mods" along the way. As long is the whole project won't take too long. Couldn't find project times on body work online...I guess this is becoming more skill, tricks, and experience.

Thanks, in advance for your replies.
Friday, September 16, 2011 3:29 AM

Found out from the collision repair manual, the fenders have to come off to get to the rocker panels. Anyone ever been there?
Friday, September 30, 2011 6:35 PM
Anybody reading this?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search