New guy here, with i hope and easy question - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New guy here, with i hope and easy question
Thursday, November 03, 2011 9:37 AM
Hey all, new here, 2003 cavy that runs on Natural gas, factory GM conversion. Love the car, i DD it every single day, and never have problems, 1.55 a gallon for my gas

Anyway, i have a newb question, i really hope someone can answer for me as im getting into helping a friend with his Cavy,

He has a 1997 i believe and needs to replace his motor. Rod bearing went, rod went, went through, went through the block, lo. SO that sucks,

Anyway, he is at the local Pick A part and cant find any for his year, the only one he is able to find in suitable condition for his uses is a 2002. Are these going to be the same? i assume they are both the 2.2 litre, i will confirm this with him. But he's fairly knowledgable, atleast, common sense, i would assume he wouldnt even ask if they were different sizes.

So, assuming they are both 2.2 or whatever his motor is, are they going to bolt right in and wire the same? Or she he keep looking?

Thanks guys! Ill get some pics up the cavy when i get a chance.

Kyle

Re: New guy here, with i hope and easy question
Thursday, November 03, 2011 10:02 AM
Kind of the same, technically no.

He needs to stick with the 1997 motor unless he wants to change out wiring harness to put in a 1998-2002 2.2 engine. His 97 is an OHV. Also, he can not use the 2002 motor because most of the gauges run off the bcm, which is 97 motor doesnt.

In short

Get the 2002 motor and replace entire wiring harness, computer, gauge cluster, etc.

Or stick with the 96 or 97 motor and be done with it.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Re: New guy here, with i hope and easy question
Thursday, November 03, 2011 11:39 AM
I appreciate the response man. I will let him know that he should not even mess with it. Just find the right stuff.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search