Issues starting - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Issues starting
Friday, September 23, 2011 4:14 PM
Hey,

Haven't been on here in a while. Sometime when I go to start the car it won't. The dash lights will light up and I can hear the fuel pump priming. But it won't start. Sometime it starts on the first try, other times I have to jiggle the key from on to start a couple times and then it will actually go. I would think that it is something in the steering column going bad, but im not an expert on anything in there. Any ideas?

Thanks
2001 cavalier 2.2

Re: Issues starting
Friday, September 23, 2011 4:25 PM
Sounds like your ignition switch good sir. If you have to jiggle the key... then that is most likely it. 99.999% sure that is.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:15 AM
It ended up being some kind of relay for the starter. Go figure right?

Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:44 AM
Haha, nice. Go figure indeed.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:29 PM
Now i've got to get the a/c compressor fixed so that i can have defrost this winter

Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:59 PM
Have fun with that. The V5 compressor is a piece of crap, lol. I am on my 3rd one... ugh.

Monday, September 26, 2011 11:47 AM
Where is the best place to get them, do you know? I'm not trying to spend $600 on a car I might not have for very long.

Sunday, October 09, 2011 5:12 PM
Ebay is a decent place to look. Most sellers will warrant them and give you a good deal. all the compressors are the same for all 1995 cavaliers and 1996-2002 2.2 motors. Basically ALL had the same compressor except the 2.4 and Ecotec 3rd gens.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:48 PM
I'll have to check that out. The current process is getting the abs fixed.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:18 PM
what is wrong with the abs? Wheel sensor?

Monday, October 17, 2011 7:36 AM
The module/pump have not worked for almost 3 years now. When the abs light came on the dash I had it checked out and they said the control module and pump would cost me $2000. I passed on that because the brakes work fine, they just act like they don't have anti lock. I've got a pump and module tho, just have to find time to install it.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:37 PM
ah, okay. Sounds fun... lol... not really. Sucks it was not something simple, but at least your brakes still worked.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:11 PM
That's pretty much how I felt about it when i found out. Hopefully I can get it installed soon. I just got a quote on getting that compressor fixed, $525. Wasn't too thrilled with that and am looking for a cheaper one. I also am trying to make my check engine light go away. I keep getting a p0440 evap emissions error. I got a brand new gas cap because we thought that was the issue. Even when it was on it would be loose and wiggle, but the light is coming on even after the new cap. I wouldn't be trying to fix so many things on this car if I hadn't got the new head gasket earlier this year.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:44 AM
I would check under the car where the EVAP canister is. Should be around the gas tank. I would check all lines and wires. The price for the compressor is insane, but sounds about right from a shop.

Sunday, October 30, 2011 8:39 PM
I got a new compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube. Now just to get it all installed

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 7:12 AM
So the fun begins, lol.

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 7:25 AM
Something like that. I would see if I could do it myself but recently I have not had anytime for anything. So I have the car scheduled to go in Thursday.

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 9:47 AM
Yeah, It is a little time consuming getting the old compressor off and what not. All the little steps with the pag 150 oil and the rest. Also, it is nice get a professional to do it, cause if they screw up... it is warranted. lol.

Friday, November 04, 2011 3:08 PM
I finally got that done today. $293 poorer now, but I can use my defroster now so I'm not going to complain too much now.

Friday, November 04, 2011 4:03 PM
$293 is not that bad I guess. I just recently got a project car that needs the ac fixed on it. I might try to find a decent shop over here. I always thought it would be more. Did they just replace the parts you bought and then just evacuate the system, then recharge it?

Saturday, November 05, 2011 12:33 AM
Yeah, i bought the accumulator, compressor and tube. They evacuated, installed, recharged, and put the dye in it. I bought the parts at advance but the tube didn't fit so the shop had to buy an ac delco one.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search