Drum issue... - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Drum issue...
Friday, November 18, 2011 6:33 PM
I figured this as a noob question so maybe I can get some help?

I had this "brake&tire" place do my brakes, replacing my drums in the process.

Anyway, I've noticed that after some driving around drums began to "rub" while I brake to a stop (under 10mph).
I took it back to the shop, they told me they didn't find anything.
Seems to only happen after I drive for a while and the drums heat up.
I told them about it and they give me this wtf look like they have no idea. Or don't want to own up to their f'up.

What do you guys think the deal is?
Did they put the wrong drums on? Could it be rust? Why am I having problems with brand new drums?!

Thanks in advance

Re: Drum issue...
Monday, November 21, 2011 8:05 PM
I have no idea what your describing.I have done tons of brake work front and rear,drum,disc.When you say rub,exactly what does the car do(drag feel in rear,shaky stop,or shift rear to front feel).Best way is jack the car up either side,take tire off,the drum should not have any place left/right(DO NOT rotate) just left=right.Does the drum fit nicely around the studs no extra space.Now with rotate the drum (e brake off) drum should turn with ease,not drag hard,or have little movement being brute force is needed to get it to move.I do not want to go on,on.But unless something is out of adjustment,possible incorrect drums but,fit or maybe defective drum or even the brake shoes not centered on the hub.Try to better describe it,or even take a pic with wheel off so we can see it.1 more thing is your e brake nice a tight when you apply it to park.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:36 AM
thanks for the response. Sorry if i gave a vague description, its kind of hard to describe.

When i brake to a stop, it rubs, or grabs only on ~10% of a rotation, intermittently

check out my mock diagram

what was weird was that when I first got the car back from the shop, the e-brake was really tight and I couldn't get it to go all the way up. Its not as tight anymore, I can pull it all the way to the top now.

I haven't taken off and inspected it yet. I'll jack the car up and take a look.
Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:39 PM
The e brake typically will not go UP as far when you have new brake shoes along with new drums.The explanation you have more pad,therefore decreasing the travel distance required to apply shoes to the drum to stop.This is a good thing.As for the noise or grabbing it could be what I already stated,misaligned shoes,maybe a out of round drum(yes even new).Something clearly is out of wack.I find it odd the shop will not check it.Or rather what did the shop initially do by checking,just a test drive.You can check it,and see if any premature wear,you might want to actually pull the drum OFF and see if your shoes are wearing in one spot soley.If so I would GO back make them remove the wheel and SEE the damage!They should fix it period.Take pics of drums,shoes for your reference.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search