96 cavalier 2.2 vin4 into 97 sunfire - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
96 cavalier 2.2 vin4 into 97 sunfire
Monday, October 31, 2011 5:33 PM
Hello jbo, great to be here.

I am inquiring about a engine replacement I just finished. I currently swapped a 1996 cavalier 2.2vin4 engine wflywheel for 5spd into a 1997 sunfire with 5spd. Everything plugs, connects and bolts up perfectly except the crankshaft position sensor which is obviously a three wire sensor in 96 engine, and the harness in my 97 vehicle has two wire plug. I have read the other newbie posts that replies stated either sensor would work but the three wire sensor is almost one inch longer than the two wire sensor and larger in diameter as well. I have to assume that there is a solution to this involving using the three wire sensor and plug from the 96 engine and wiring it to the 2 wire harness in the 97 vehicle. Whether I am on the right track or not please reply to this post, those with any very directly related experience with this issue, ie. you have done this swap before.

Re: 96 cavalier 2.2 vin4 into 97 sunfire
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 7:26 AM
just put the two plug wire into the 96 block. It is not as long, but the sensor has a stronger pickup so it won't matter. No wire splicing needed. The ecu changed in 97, so the crank sensor saw a small change as well.

Monday, November 28, 2011 8:08 AM
I have this same problem, I assumed the sensors would swap ot, but i cannot get anything in there. Both sensors have about 3/4 in. left to go when they stop. Would cranking the motor help in getting this in?

Fireboy153
Brady Fire Co. - Station 150
Long Live The Sunflower! (yea its not so "cool")
Monday, November 28, 2011 4:35 PM
This will work fireboy my sunfire is running great now, (thanx by the way freelancer). The sensor wont go in because the hole in the block is all rusted/corroded. There is no need to crank the engine while installing the sensor, infact the battery should be disconnected while you do this. Try to sand and or brush with a small wire brush out the the bore of the guide hole. Then clean up the bore very well, grease the NEW 2 wire sensor with bearing grease and very carefully force the sensor in by hand untill the sensor goes in all the way. If the car wont start after the sensor is in all the way, you will have to check for DTCs with a scan tool.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search