fuel pump replaced, now won't start - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
fuel pump replaced, now won't start
Monday, December 26, 2011 11:07 PM
Hello! I am new to this forum, not new to working on vehicles. I am pretty much the "family" mechanic, so if something goes wrong with their vehicles, I am pretty much the one they come to. That all started when I was younger & my step dad told me if I was going to own a car, I was going to learn how to work on them. That started the bug. Enough about me for now, let's gt back to the issue at hand. My sister has a 2005 Cobalt and about a month ago it started having issues (the same day I had a blow out on my pickup) her car didn't want to start right away, but eventually did and she started for home. She said that it started chugging after a while and then had reduced power. I test drove it when I got home and it would start chugging and then the "idiot light" came on that said "reduced eng pwr" and would only go 10 miles an hour. i looked it up and info said that it could be fuel filter or fuel pump. So I changed the fuel filter and that did not solve the problem. I got onto fixya.com and the "mechanic" said it was probably the fuel pump. So purchased a fuel pump & my son replaced it for me since I had to work. Now it won't start. it tries, but just doesn't catch. I went though the whole drill with my son on what he did, if he made sure he hooked everything back up, didn't forget anything. Still cannot figure out why. I read on one of the newbies post that you guys said that the passlock security system may need to be reset. How do we do that? Do we have to take it somewhere to have it done? Is it just so simple as disconnecting the battery. Please help! I am at my wits end. I want my sister to have her car back so my truck isn't getting used twice as much.

Re: fuel pump replaced, now won't start
Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:27 AM
To reset your passlock, you have to turn your key to start and let it spring back to the on position. Let it sit for 10-12 minutes or until the passlock light goes off. When light goes off, wait 5 seconds and then turn the car off. Repeat til car starts. If you are not getting a passlock light, then this is not your problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:28 AM

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:29 PM
no passlock light. any other suggestions on what it might be?
Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:54 PM
I'd check what codes were thrown when the light came on, those will point you in the right direction.

It would also have been beneficial to check this before replacing the pump but.. what is pressure at the rail like?

And for next time, a fuel pump volume test could rule out a weak fuel pump, that's not a cheap part to throw at a car..

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:52 AM
You joined this site to post this.... We're you aware a cobalt is a Delta not a j-body? This isn't a sight for cobalts, just an FYI.

Friday, December 30, 2011 6:05 AM
pull it down and check all your connections. especially the little one to the top if the pump the ventral tube and if you had to reuse the stock you have to snip the top off for a good seal other then that Idk like they say were a j site try sscobalt.net
Monday, February 27, 2012 10:30 AM
Darkstars wrote:You joined this site to post this.... We're you aware a cobalt is a Delta not a j-body? This isn't a sight for cobalts, just an FYI.

and ur the one with a vw in ur pic so you dont have much to say
Monday, February 27, 2012 10:32 AM
Darkstars wrote:You joined this site to post this.... We're you aware a cobalt is a Delta not a j-body? This isn't a sight for cobalts, just an FYI.

it is a j sight but darkstar has a vw so it dont matter
Monday, February 27, 2012 10:45 AM
Ryan is pointing out the obvious.

You have fuel at the rail....did you check fuel, spark, and timing?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search