2000 Cavalier - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2000 Cavalier
Sunday, January 08, 2012 10:58 PM
Alright. So I've been on here for a month or two... or so lol. (lost track, don't really care lol)
Reading plenty of crap. Using that WONDERFUL search button. Haha
But I have no idea really where I want to start, or to even start.
GRANTED, I really want to build up one of these cars. I've owned 2 cavaliers and haven't done much to either.
BUT BACK TO THE TOPIC

I bought this 2000 Cavalier from a kid out in Vienna, MO. Drove over an hour to get it.
Granted, the milage is only 115k, and it's rolling on some nice 18inch Konigs, IT NEEDS LOTS OF WORK
I've had ideas of taking it back to stock, or putting a new kit on it.
BUT I wanna go stock, and put the LSS lip kit on it, or the RK sport kit on it. I don't want to be too flashy.
Interior wise.... (I don't really care too much about at the moment...) although, I have been messaging Seemlessz24 about his Guage cluster he's selling.

I have already:
Put a new stainless 4-1 header on it
Custom made an intake, to be under the hood, away from water that may get into the fender.
New plugs and wires and fuel injector cleaner
Put two new front tires on
Fixed some but ugly wiring in the dash (kid had wires wrapped around fuses and then shoved the fuses in.... )
Installed 6.5's in the doors.
installed window crank handles (didnt have any when I got the car)
HID headlights

It needs:
To have dents removed from door and side of car(body shop can do HOPEFULLY)
New front fenders
Hood(carbon fiber is faded, and hood bounces while driving)
front bumper.
Rear Bumper
Trunk lid
(AND lip kit later on)

Performance wise it needs:
NOT TOO SURE
But there's a rattleing coming from somewhere up front when I hit bumps, and I move in reverse??? (Anyone know what's up with that)
Maybe some new coilovers
New rear tires.
New exhaust from the cat back.... (fart can needs to be gone... and it rattles....)

Now can you all give me any suggestion where I should start? or give me suggestions and opinions? I have a real passion about these cars, I love them. Lol
And my dad keeps telling me to buy a hood off ebay... Is that even worth trying... They are pretty cheap. lol
I want to have most of the body work done and have paint buy the bash this year. I plan to attend, even if not painted yet.
(will depend on the girly friend. She may be preggo. Haveing a test taken sometime this week or next... but this car will still be a priority. It's my DD)

Re: 2000 Cavalier
Monday, January 09, 2012 4:23 AM
Greeno wrote:Now can you all give me any suggestion where I should start? or give me suggestions and opinions?

If you are about to have a baby I would suggest focusing on reliability and refraining from dumping a bunch of money into the car.

Regardless, I would focus on go and reliability first, who cares what it looks like if it barely runs or is hardly safe going down the road, then you can take your time on the exterior.

the list you have compiled seems pretty good, id start with the "performance" stuff.. namely tires and suspension.

Greeno wrote:

It needs:
To have dents removed from door and side of car(body shop can do HOPEFULLY)
New front fenders
Hood(carbon fiber is faded, and hood bounces while driving)
front bumper.
Rear Bumper
Trunk lid
(AND lip kit later on)

Performance wise it needs:
NOT TOO SURE
But there's a rattleing coming from somewhere up front when I hit bumps, and I move in reverse??? (Anyone know what's up with that)
Maybe some new coilovers
New rear tires.
New exhaust from the cat back.... (fart can needs to be gone... and it rattles....)

Monday, January 09, 2012 11:05 AM
Greeno wrote:
And my dad keeps telling me to buy a hood off ebay... Is that even worth trying... They are pretty cheap. lol

I got my CF hood and trunk off ebay. I just make sure it was made by a decent company and the seller had a good rating/feedback. I didnt have a problem.

But the smart thing to do is make sure the car is reliable and make peace with the fact that if the g/f is preggo that the car most likely wont be built.

Error: Sig not found.

Monday, January 09, 2012 4:33 PM
The car will be built. May no be by the time I want... But it will be built. Haha. Alright. I'll look into the hood.

And really the only thing I'm worried about reliability wise, is the suspension...
I makes an odd noise.. Anyone have any idea. Or maybe what to look at/for?
I'm worried it may be a hub or something big. No idea. Any suggestions? I hate taking my car to a shop. I do all the work.
Monday, January 09, 2012 4:40 PM
what kind of noise??

Monday, January 09, 2012 4:54 PM
Not sure how to describe it.
It sounds kinda like when you put a rock in a plastic cup and shake the cup.
I hear it when hitting hard bumps while driving.
OR I hear it ALOT when in reverse, it makes the sound if I even drive over a rock..

Not sure what it is, but it concerns me.
The only problem with my car really. Haha
Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:55 PM
Alright, The girly turned out to not be preggo. I finally convinced her to go to a doc. Haha. But yeah. I've decided that this coming week or two, I'm going to replace the struts and coils. I wanna put some nicer ones on to keep the suspension firm. I talked to a few people about it and they told me it sounded like something shock/strut wise to them. SO to replaceing them I go. Then the car will be completely reliable. Haha [:

And Imma take you alls advice.
I'm going to knock out all the little performance stuff first.
Like the exhaust and rear tires. Maybe have the tires balanced again seeing as I have a shake while driving. Haha
Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:02 AM
how much are you looking at spending on a suspension, new, used, do you need adjustable ride height,

Modding my j since I found the org
Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:45 PM
Adjustable would be nice since I'm going to take it back to the stock body.
I would really like to drop it down some haha, But I'm not too sure as of what I want at the moment...BUT
For now, I'm thinking of throwing some KYB strut-plus in there. I can get them for around $200 each for the whole set up
Later on when I find another job and quit emptying my savings haha. I wanna throw some Koni Yellows on it. To get around 1.5" Of drop...
IVE USED THE SEARCH BUTTON. ;D Haha Saves lives.

Come this next month with tax returns,
Imma buy all the replacement panels I need. Which isn't much really.
I'm thinking of keeping the hood, just takeing it to a shop to have them reclear the carbon fiber to make it shine. Haha Or trying some of the methods I've looked up with google.

BUT WONDERFULLY ENOUGH
My check engine light came on today,.
Cars driving fine though, no abnormal sounds or anything. I'm trying to find someone with a code scanner around my area...
Thinking of running by Auto Zone and having them use their code reader. I hope its just an O2 Sensor or something...
Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:13 PM
What does it have for suspension now? Hard to tell from picture but the rear looks lower than stock?

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:58 PM
I'm not too sure to be honest. Haha
I know it looks a bit lower than stock, and the ride is HORRIABLY stiff haha. I mean you feel every single bump, and my passengers don't like to take long rides with me haha.
But yeah. Non the less, I don't think it's stock. The front struts and coils look stock.. but I haven't looked too much into the rear.
I'll look as soon as I wake up tomorrow in the daylight and post what I find out haha

Thursday, January 12, 2012 8:35 PM
Yeah if it is a lowering kit, its uneven, maybe guy before bought ebay springs or something? Maybe cut or heated the springs? Who knows

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**

Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:31 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-04-CAVALIER-TEIN-LOWERING-SPRINGS-S-TECH-SKG90-TOKICO-SHOCKS-STRUT-SET-KIT-HP-/360425839392?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2000%7CModel%3A Cavalier&vxp=mtr&hash=item53eb0ddb20#ht_4235wt_1041

Now there's something I think that's not too bad. I've heard decent things about the Tokico Blues. And the Teins should be pretty decent.
Yall think that would be a pretty decent set up for my car?
Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:46 PM
I would like to know that way I can go ahead and buy them...
Friday, January 13, 2012 8:06 AM
I will probably go with tokico blues when I lower, ill probably go with eibach pro kit though. I heard go things about tein too but make sure they are not knock offs. I have heard of there being some on ebay. Those ones might not be but just be careful.

Sunday, February 05, 2012 6:38 PM
Looked into it recently when I had time.
The rear suspension is KYB gr2's with a coil over set up of sometype
And the front is stock....

I bought a brand new set of KYB gr2's for front and rear
And the Eibach pro kit....
I'll steal the mounts off the old struts. Haha!!!

The rear set up/coil over....
THESE are shot. and done....

Sunday, February 05, 2012 7:04 PM
you bought a car in vienna? suprized its in one piece. The only car of mine to make it out of that crummy area was a good old 78 chevy. my 91 cavi is in a field, (probably still run though...) where are you from?
Sunday, February 05, 2012 7:06 PM
Should have got KYB AGX's, research a little more and try to focus on one area instead of trying to do everything at once.

Sunday, February 05, 2012 9:55 PM
I did my research. I looked around a checked prices and everything else. I thought of going with the Tokico blues. But decided that since my friend bought these for his car and never put them on that I would buy all 4 for $200 from him and put a slight to mild drop onto them. I thought about the AGX's and the tokico D spec's also. I just found that I could get these cheaper at the time and that I could live with them even if the ride wasn't the best. What I have now is shot..... Anything is better with that. And I didn't want to go with the Eibach sportlines bacause that was way too much of a drop for the OEM replacements..
I've already installed new exhaust. Fixed my idle problem. Put all new tires on it and made the car completely reliable.
Struts and coils was all I had left that it needed really.
So I did search around a bit, and after these struts and coils and alignment. I'm going to start saving up to take it back to stock and to get body work done.

And I'm from Jefferson city, MO
Sunday, February 05, 2012 10:27 PM
Shouldnt be lowering on the gr2s. Been there done that wasted the $200 spent $500 on d-specs a few months later. Also if your profile is correct and your really 18. Bro seriously from one man to another, buy a box of rubbers, much cheaper and way less work than a child. Take it from someone who had twins at 23 with the wrong girl and when i wasnt ready. Also im not saying shes the wrong girl. Im saying make sure you have a future first. So that you can ensure one day that your children will have one. Best of luck.

Sunday, February 05, 2012 10:54 PM
Fixed that problem. I went out and bot a box.. And Alright. I'll have to run on the Gr2's for now because I already bought them. But when they go, I'll get another set. Doesn't seem like it was my best idea though. Alright thanks for all the info everyone. I'll just run with what I got till it blows. Then I'll spend some money on some Koni's or AGX's as soon as I can afford it. And the whole child issue is done and over with. Nothing happened.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search