need options quick! - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
need options quick!
Wednesday, February 08, 2012 2:37 PM
I'm just a man on a micro budget looking for a solution for my predicament
I've got a 02 z24 and I'm in need of another motor. I would like to have another 2.4 but the price has jumped up 200 bux. So a researched into selling my motor for the cobalt ss 05 but I do not want to end up paying more than what I bought the car for. (500) also I noticed the ecotech motors aren't as powerful as my motor. But do they have more aftermarket parts available? Cuz my cavy barely has any. And I really love my car and don't really wanna get another. Any suggestions?

Re: need options quick!
Wednesday, February 08, 2012 3:36 PM
Just to confirm, you want to put a 2.4 ecotec from a 2005 cobalt in your 2002 cavalier and don't want to spend more than $500?????

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 4:47 PM
No not that. I just looked into that as a possibility and saw that I would have to replace things like the ecu and multiple other things. I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. Preferably the cheapest quickest alternative to a engine swap that would not cost me more than 800 bux really.
Wednesday, February 08, 2012 5:08 PM
lol the ld9 only makes what 10 more then the baseline 2.2 eco. if you want cost effectiveness, buy a wrecked 03-05 cavalier with an eco. and swap EVERYTHING over to your car.

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 6:02 PM
now, if i were to do that, are there more mods for that motor than the ld9? i really wish i could just get another ld9. they jumped up to 800 to nine hundred. and they're hard to find for some reason around here. and thanks for the responses!
Wednesday, February 08, 2012 8:33 PM
It would be cheaper/easier to put another LD9 in it, even if it is 8-900, whats wrong with your LD9? Could it be fixed/rebuilt?

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Thursday, February 09, 2012 7:27 PM
As of right now I believe my motor is a time bomb. I've already locked up the motor and my dad was able to bring it back. Can't remember the exact details on how he was able to do it but, I'm taking good care of my car now. Its got a mean click to it now as a side effect from the lock up. And i don't really wanna get another car. So i was just wondering what some options would be.
Thursday, February 09, 2012 8:27 PM
SO it just needs a new oil pump and some rod bearings if you want to be cheap, maybe a new crank. Thats cheaper than grabbing another ld9 from the upull it for a couple hundred bucks. We have outrageous junk yard prices here and I can get pretty much any newer gm 4 banger for under 500 bucks if I am willing to drive up to an hour.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, February 13, 2012 9:05 AM
give me the car for 400 bucks and find something else

Monday, February 13, 2012 9:36 AM
i found a wrecked 2002 sunfire eco for $550, couldn't find an LD9 around here to save my life, ended up being able to part out what was good from my LD9, and parts from the sunfire to make up the cost. if feel like finding parts for the eco is easier than the LD9 just my opinion, and situation, everybody's is different.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search