Hello with 96/97 Cavalier 2.2l No Check Engine Light? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hello with 96/97 Cavalier 2.2l No Check Engine Light?
Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:36 PM
Hello Everyone,
Just got a 1996/97 Cavalier 5 speed, 2.2l, 4 door. It has a few issues at this time, but working on getting them corrected.
I am new to Cavaliers and just trying to find some knowledge of the car and maybe help someone else down the road.

Right now I am working on getting it to pass inspection. No "check engine" light was burning, and it runs great, took it to get inspected, hooked the tester up and it shows 5 codes, they are:
p0140=O2 sensor b1 s2 circuit inactive
p0141=O2 sensor b1 s2 htr malf
p0300=Random/multiple misfire detected
p0335=CKP sensor A circuit Malfunction
p0345=Camshaft position sensor low input

The "check engine" light will not burn when key is turned on, but passed the inspection stations bulb circuitry test.
Anyone experience this light issue before? or any idea what is causing it. Thanks

Re: Hello with 96/97 Cavalier 2.2l No Check Engine Light?
Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:49 AM
I would assume the o2 sensor in bank 1 is dead... but I would still check the connections and even clean the egr valve out to make sure. The random missfire may be related to the crank and cam errors. I am suspecting the ICM going bad. As for the Check engine light not working, I would suggest getting another cluster. The bulb is a soldered in L.E.D. and can be replaced if you are any good with a soldering gun. It should come on when you have the key first turned to ON, along with almost all the other lights on the cluster.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:46 PM
Thanks for the reply. Made me want to sell the car and get a 95 No, but really, I am hoping it isn't going to be too expensive to get it inspected, as the extra cost was not expected. (fingers crossed)
The update as of now is............
Reset the computer and only code showing back up is the same oxygen sensor as before. Checked the wiring to the O2 sensor, wire insulation was worn where it was rubbing against the underside. Will get it replaced Sat.
Checked the O2 heater fuse; it was fine.
Husband replaced the spark plugs before the inspection and when the car was first started back it misfired(wires), so hopefully that is where the misfire/spark codes came from.

I will remove the cluster and see if someone blocked out the light some how. I am suspicious because there is a screw missing for the dash and it passed the light burning test.

The last inspection was 6/2010, so its been a while and was purchased from and individual. So who knows... but I'll keep ya posted.
Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:49 PM
Thanks for the reply. Made me want to sell the car and get a 95 No, but really, I am hoping it isn't going to be too expensive to get it inspected, as the extra cost was not expected. (fingers crossed)
The update as of now is............
Reset the computer and only code showing back up is the same oxygen sensor as before. Checked the wiring to the O2 sensor, wire insulation was worn where it was rubbing against the underside. Will get it replaced Sat.
Checked the O2 heater fuse; it was fine.
Husband replaced the spark plugs before the inspection and when the car was first started back it misfired(wires), so hopefully that is where the misfire/spark codes came from.

I will remove the cluster and see if someone blocked out the light some how. I am suspicious because there is a screw missing for the dash and it passed the light burning test.

The last inspection was 6/2010, so its been a while and was purchased from and individual. I'll keep ya posted.
Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:52 PM
OOOpsss! computer user error
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search