New to Cavaliers and JBO. - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New to Cavaliers and JBO.
Monday, February 27, 2012 6:43 PM
Hello, I'm new, from South Florida and my name is Scott.

I'm new to Cavaliers. Just bought the first one every. It's a 2001 4dr base model with 135K on the clock and is a borderline POS. A/C seems like it's on the way out (compressor rattles) Gauge bezel is broke all to hell (someone taped it up with some electrical tape...,I'm eye balling a replacement on eBay) I think it has a bad strut (not sure, never dealt with struts before, passenger side vibrates while going over bumps in the road. Smooth on nice flat road. Guess it could be bearings to though, still have to investigate), it has a few blown speakers, needs tires, has some flaking clear coat, and some of the A/C fan control setting don't work.

I just bought the car as a replacement for a 2000 4dr Blazer I gave my wife to drive.It was in awesome condition when i gave it to her......It was still in alright shape after she'd crashi....errr...I mean driving it for a couple years....Well, It got stolen...So I had to get a replacement fast. She wanted something good on gas so I found her a Cavy. Paid $1900 for it and is run and shifts great.

Anyways....I've been around the s10 forums for awhile now and still have a 98 Jimmy that I've done somethings to. I'm 12sws27 on all the forums I visit as well as youtube. I would have loved to find her a 2dr ecotec so I'd be more tempted to spend a retarded amount of money on it. But I got this 115 HP animal and it'll probably stay pretty stock. That is unless i find out a Ecotec or 2.4 twincam is a real easy swap and the 2200 SFI blows. Then it might be worth boosting.

I do have some nooby questions....

Are the only choices for drop-struts (are struts that will work with lowering coils) adjustable? Drop coils seem real affordable but damn, the adjustable struts I see recommended are like $100+ each!

Re: New to Cavaliers and JBO.
Monday, February 27, 2012 7:01 PM
Tokico d-specs & eibach sportlines will be your best but if you wanna lower it. just keep a eye out on the classifieds and sometimes ebay.
pricey but you get what you pay for man.

oh and welcome to the org

DOPER.
Monday, February 27, 2012 7:02 PM
Forgot to mention, just flushed the cooling system....god that sh!t was nasty! Looked purple. Rust and old dexacool makes a purplish color I guess. Could have been the florescent lighting I guess too. Either way....It looked like the coolant hadn't been changed it years! The good old green stuff is going in it after I flush all the cleaner out of it.

2001 red 4dr Cavalier 2.2 SFI/auto: All Stock.

1998 GMC Jimmy, 2dr/2wd, 4.3L V-6/4L60E: , Wynjammer S/C @8psi, Accel 300+ ign box,
Taylor 8mm wires, CFM-Tech tb blade, Trans-Go shift kit w/vette servo, cat delete,
Hooker Maxflow muffler, Zexel Torsen LSD, Marine intake, 42lb/hr injectors,
aeromotive stealth 340 in-tank pump, racetronix fuel pump wiring harness,
AEM UEGO W/B A/F gauge, LS1 E-Fans, self tuned w/HPTuners,
best 1/8th mile E.T. so far: 2.26 60' 9.55@73mph <<<6psi.
Monday, February 27, 2012 7:07 PM
REDECO wrote:Tokico d-specs & eibach sportlines will be your best but if you wanna lower it. just keep a eye out on the classifieds and sometimes ebay.
pricey but you get what you pay for man.

oh and welcome to the org

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm eyeballing a set of Tokico D-Specs of ebay. They come with 1.4" coils but doesn't specify the brand of coil. The struts and the coils are about $600-700 for the set. Makes me wonder if they're just cheap coils added with good struts

A nice non-adjustable drop strut (if there could be such a thing) would probably be half the price (judging from the cost of OEM replacement struts).

2001 red 4dr Cavalier 2.2 SFI/auto: All Stock.

1998 GMC Jimmy, 2dr/2wd, 4.3L V-6/4L60E: , Wynjammer S/C @8psi, Accel 300+ ign box,
Taylor 8mm wires, CFM-Tech tb blade, Trans-Go shift kit w/vette servo, cat delete,
Hooker Maxflow muffler, Zexel Torsen LSD, Marine intake, 42lb/hr injectors,
aeromotive stealth 340 in-tank pump, racetronix fuel pump wiring harness,
AEM UEGO W/B A/F gauge, LS1 E-Fans, self tuned w/HPTuners,
best 1/8th mile E.T. so far: 2.26 60' 9.55@73mph <<<6psi.
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:50 PM
there is always the option to throw a 60 degree v6 in there. im a blazer guy myself, i end up on blazerforum.com mostly but sometimes on the s10's. usmc3782 there. i daily a 98 zr2 and weekend a 98z vert.
bezels are stupid easy to change out and there should be a ton at the junk yard

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search