Hi, rebuilding my first LD9 - Oil valve questions - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hi, rebuilding my first LD9 - Oil valve questions
Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:10 AM
Hi, I'm a newb to these forums but not to wrenching. Picked up a 99 Cav Z24, my son and I are rebuilding the engine and doing some maintenance as a father son project. It will be "his" car come Driver License time next fall.

So we've gotten everything torn down, spec'd out, accumulated (I think) everything we need to begin reassembly...except the Cylinder Head Oil Check Valve and the Oil Filter Bypass Valve. I can't seem to source these on typical websites (Napa, Autozone, Advanced Auto, etc.), at least not by that part name which is used in the Factory service manual. They were not included with the new gasket set, I wanted to check that out before I posted this question. I even checked on GMPartsDirect but couldn't seem to find anything.

I will admit I have not asked at any parts counters yet, but in my experience 98% of the time I know more than the 16 year old behind the counter.

I also don't know how to remove them without banging up the existing ones, which I didn't want to do until I have new ones in hand.

Does anyone have a source? Or at least a part number so I can get them ordered? Or can I clean up the existing and keep using them?

Any help is MUCH appreciated!!! Thanks, Rusty.

Re: Hi, rebuilding my first LD9 - Oil valve questions
Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:31 AM
I do not think I have ever scene either besides used. I have never heard or read of anyone replacing them either. I'll look around here and see if I can find any more info on them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:51 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:46 AM
When i rebuilt mine had to go to the dealer to get the oil check valve it was like 20 bucks and my dealer had to order that part
Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:17 PM
Thanks MD and Sam! Seems to be hard to find - how did you remove the old one? Not much to pull on...
Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:28 PM
I did search on here but didn't find anything.
Friday, March 30, 2012 1:55 PM
Found the P/N's here although the oil filter bypass valve is either wrong or no longer in production:

http://www.quad4forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810

It seems destruction is in order for removal: http://www.quad4forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11802

New valve is $15.31 n/i shipping
Monday, April 02, 2012 4:20 AM
I have the 99 factory service manuals. PM me to remind me, but I believe the GM part number for them are in the manuals.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, April 04, 2012 1:20 PM
GM Part Number: 22548701
VALVE. Engine Oil Pressure
VALVE,OIL FLOW CHK. Required: 01

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, April 05, 2012 5:11 AM
THANKS! I have one on order. Was hoping to finish this week but had to order a couple other small parts too.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search