New owner - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New owner
Monday, April 02, 2012 4:00 PM
Hello everyone!

My name is Paul and I just bought my first J-body a few days ago. Definitely a fun little car!

I'm not new to cars, some of my previous rides have been a Stealth RT-TT and an Eclipse GT. Both of which I'd done some work to but 2 kids, a marriage, and divorce later. I'm driving a '03 Cavalier Base Coupe Manual 2.2 Ecotec. A little bit shorter gear ratios than I'm used to but I'm getting acclimated pretty quickly.

Being I just bought this car used a few days ago, everything seems fine but I'm wondering if there are any problem areas I should be examining, any mechanical failures that these cars are prone to that I should stay on top of, etc.

One thing I am noticing is some lurching when downshifting and I'm assuming I should look at the motor mounts.

One other thing is I'm used to being able to adjust my clutch engagement height on the pedal a little lower. I climbed under there and it doesn't seem to be adjustable, is this true?

Thanks in advance!

Re: New owner
Monday, April 02, 2012 6:58 PM
Welcome to the ORG!

The Stealth/3KGT is probably one of my favorite cars... got any pics of it?

Don't know much about the Eco... but I'm sure someone else will chime in with miles of great information.

Again, welcome!

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Monday, April 02, 2012 7:17 PM
no you can not adjust the clutch engagement height. You can bleed the clutch which could slightly change it, but not like you are use to.

FU Tuning

Thursday, April 05, 2012 7:22 AM
Paul Grant wrote:Hello everyone!

My name is Paul and I just bought my first J-body a few days ago. Definitely a fun little car!

I'm not new to cars, some of my previous rides have been a Stealth RT-TT and an Eclipse GT. Both of which I'd done some work to but 2 kids, a marriage, and divorce later. I'm driving a '03 Cavalier Base Coupe Manual 2.2 Ecotec. A little bit shorter gear ratios than I'm used to but I'm getting acclimated pretty quickly.

Being I just bought this car used a few days ago, everything seems fine but I'm wondering if there are any problem areas I should be examining, any mechanical failures that these cars are prone to that I should stay on top of, etc.

One thing I am noticing is some lurching when downshifting and I'm assuming I should look at the motor mounts.

One other thing is I'm used to being able to adjust my clutch engagement height on the pedal a little lower. I climbed under there and it doesn't seem to be adjustable, is this true?

Thanks in advance!

I personally love the high clutch engagement. I know that downshifting a front wheel drive car is loads different than a rear wheel drive. If you downshift like it's a RWD it'll buck. Rev-matching while downshifting will solve that if it's just a matter of getting used to FWD.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search