newb... looking to help the gf out - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
newb... looking to help the gf out
Sunday, March 04, 2012 4:46 AM
Just thought i would toss up a welcome post I am from Cheyenne WY and looking for info to get the gf's car going better. She has a few quirks to iron out but over all it is a pretty solid car. She has a 2000 cav with the 2.2 ecotec. This isnt my first rodeo with gm cars I have a nice little stable of classic and future collectable GMs.
I have 3 trans ams 2 regals and a 2006 GTO. All have been tweaked or are currently a project.
first off I have a few questions for her car
first off... it has a constant tick that sounds like lifters but I read on here that it should go away when warm but doesnt, so i am curious if there is something else to look for
second... her rad fan is dead and i found that you can get a N body dual setup in these cars. Is it a dual switch or what do u have to do to activate the second fan since the pcm only sees 1 stock.
third... her car is tossing the cam sensor code is this common or not?
fourth... it is popping a p0530 code also and I am curious if that is just an indication of the refrigerant being low or what?
Fifth and finally I scanned the car with HPTuners and was wondering what areas would be best to tweak or enhance to get the biggest bang for the buck and mpg.

Hope you guys can either point me in the right direction or something so i can get it back in tip top shape

Here to find info to fix the GF's car.

Re: newb... looking to help the gf out
Sunday, March 04, 2012 5:26 AM
I'd start with trying to figure out what engine is really in the car, unless it was swapped it does not have an Ecotec.

Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:57 AM
welcome, but I REALLY doubt she has a 2.2 ecotec motor in her 2000 cav.

This is what her engine probably looks like, this is the stock engine the 2.2 2200

This is an ecotec engine, in the newer cars.

Monday, March 05, 2012 1:57 AM
ok I guess you were right and it is not the ecotec... this is new territory for me i have never had and or worked on a 4 cyl car.

Here to find info to fix the GF's car.
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:13 PM
plus the name ecotec didnt come around till 2003 2004 and up so
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:40 PM
the ticking is very common all the 2.2 OHV motors tick..

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search