Hello JBO newbie - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hello JBO newbie
Saturday, June 30, 2012 3:45 PM
Hello, i have an 01 2200 cavalier SLOBOMATIC with RAM air intake and 98 Sunfire exhaust (guessing its more free flowing than the stock one i had on there) but i was just wondering what kind of mods i can do cheap ones to get enough power to get this dog to spin its tires at least. I recently had an 01 3800 grand prix with CAI, Exhaust, shift kit and stainless valves. And that seemed like a racecar compared to this. I was just hoping someone would be nice to give me a little more info on these cars ive been reading and looks like alot of people go with boost or juice and thats pretty much out of price range ive learned cheap is not good idea with cars. I am only 18 but am pretty knowledgeable about cars and can do most things. So any ideas throw them at me!

Re: Hello JBO newbie
Monday, July 02, 2012 3:25 AM
Welcome ! I also have a GTP and Now a Sunfire

96 Pontiac 2 door Sunfire 2.2 5sp Stock... Rims-225/40 18s ADR S07Rs
Other Car
99 Pontiac GP GTP, Fastest GM 3800 known in CO,Mods so far >>Headers, S3-Ported Heads,LS6 Yellow valve springs, Ported TB ,S1x Cam , Sprint racing Lowering Springs ,DHP Powertuner, Custom-Tuned PCM for E85 3" Hollow Cat 3" full cat back to Y pipe then 2.5" out ,65# Injectors, 2.8 Pulley,NGK TR6s,180* Drilled Tstat ,4" Fenderwell CAI, K&N Air filter Rims MC2 FZ16 19X8 With Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 245-40ZR19 192,xxx miles!! 6000K HIDs 3K HIDs in the fogs and a 03LEGTP Spoiler,01 75th anniversary Seats,Black Crystal Headlights!AND ZEX dry kit 1/4 mile 12.7s @ 107 on a 50 shot up HERE in Denver Co With a 8500Ft DA
Tuesday, July 03, 2012 9:59 AM
Wow nice mod list impressive. any info on the 2.2? cuz i need lil more sppeedd!
Tuesday, July 03, 2012 10:30 AM
Cheap mods you can do are header (and exhaust), motor mounts, BM Shiftplus (if you have the 4speed). After that there are 1.6 roller rockers, Port the head, 2.3 (56mm) TB, and probably a few others im forgetting.

I did all of that stuff at one point with a tune and it still wasnt too quick. Faster than stock, yes, but still made more noise than anything lol. I bought a 5spd cav and put the same mods on it (before I turbo'd it) and it felt much stronger than my auto sunfire did. If you can find a decent turbo (non-ebay brand) you CAN get pretty far with otherwise "ebay" stuff as far as turbocharging a 2200. I had all but an ebay turbo on mine and it ran great on 5psi for a year till my clutch gave out. If you skip all the other stuff and buy only turbo parts (and dont skimp on a tune) you could end up where you want to be without THAT much money.

A lot of people will talk down on anything but top shelf parts, but honestly if youre looking for a little more power and n/a isnt gonna cut it, you CAN turbo for cheap. I put 20000 hard beat-the-piss-out-of-it miles on a "cheap" turbo setup and the clutch is what gave up first. It was not super quick, but it was worth it for the time being on a stock

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search