New but have serious questions??? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New but have serious questions???
Sunday, July 29, 2012 11:05 AM
So i have just signed up today but have been looking through the site from time to time. So i have some questions that i have been thinking about for a while. To begin i am new to Chevy's and am coming over from the dark side of the force because now i have a Chevy. My other cars have been 93 Prelude(H22swap)(RIP), Civic(b18Turbo),240sx(sr20DETswap) , And Eclipse's(RS and a GSX(RIP)). So I Wonder if You think its worth the time and effort not so much money because When you do the work yourself really just parts but if you or a guy you know can weld than sky is the limit. Anyway i digress back to the question at hand.... Do you think it would be worthy to do a 4g63 swap into a cav??? Cause think about it Dodge and Mitsubishi have been doing back door dealings for years(420A or Raider/Dakota??? So why would it be that difficult I don't know I am also partial to doing the V6 swap in I just don't like the 2.2, 2.3 or the 2.4 that Chevy has to offer??? Some Ideas/Opinions would be great thus the reason i joined.

Re: New but have serious questions???
Sunday, July 29, 2012 7:42 PM
The 2.2 Eco is just like a Honda motor still has a big kick of power just like u were use to and a 3400,3500,or 3800s/c wouldn't be bad also with the 2.2eco u can use the m62 supercharger set up off the cobalt or even a saab turbo set up their is a lot of variations of part combinations out their it just depends on what u wanna spend in parts...
Tuesday, July 31, 2012 1:24 PM
If your profile is correct you picked up the wrong model. ~105hp autotragic POS. But you can swap the other engines/transmissions into it. The 2.4L would be your easiest option with the 2.2L Ecotec as your 2nd easiest and a V-6 swap would be the hardest(but not THAT hard). A 4G63 is just stupid to put into a J-body. In the end you will have wasted all of the time/money/resources to gain the same performance that you could have gotten from one of the stock engines.

The 2.4 has oil pump issues, but swapping to the 2.3 pump fixes it. There are parts out there to build a 300-400whp turbocharged 2.4, but they can be harder to find.

The 2.2L Ecotec is a very good engine. Can hold 250-300whp stock depending on the tune. Plus there are junkyard boost options. The turbo systems off 2003+ Saab 9-3s with the 2.0T and the 2008+ Cobalt SS/TCs are a direct bolt on. Also the stock supercharger system off a 2005-2007 Cobalt SS/SC is also a direct bolt on. All 3 are safe on a 100% bone stock 2.2L ecotec as long as the tune is good. Parts are easy to get.

Eco swaps on 2000-2002 Js are simple and all 2003-2005 Js came stock with the eco.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:10 PM
Rhen Bushnell wrote: Do you think it would be worthy to do a 4g63 swap into a cav???.

good luck with that one. there was an ORG member awhile back that tired this very same swap. IIRC, he got the engine into the engine bay but never wired the engine up. then he soon gave up on the project and every was for sale

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search