Stopping By Saying Hello-97 Cavalier-88K Miles-Original Owner - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stopping By Saying Hello-97 Cavalier-88K Miles-Original Owner
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 5:48 PM
Hello Everyone,
Due to a very minor accident with my Cavalier, I had to do some research online (airbags) and came across this site. Thought I'd say hello and post some pictures and info about. I bought this off the dealership in winter of 96/97 (cars production date is 9/96) in Eastern PA and it's been very reliable over the years with one or two exceptions that needed worked out. It's been in the North East until about two years ago.

First I have to say that I'm impressed at what some of you have done with your J bodies. I've had mine for 15 years now and would never have thought about doing some of the things you folks have done. Well done!

So, if all goes well, you'll be seeing pictures of my Cavalier below (yes, I'm test previewing this before hitting "Post"). I wish I could amaze you all and say "This is the rarest Cavalier in the world!" But, it's just a regular base model with a couple (few) extras. I just thought I'd post this up as something of a timewarp back...I kinda guess there's probably not a whole lot of these around with lower miles anymore. This actually didn't occur to me until I had to deal with the insurance company to NOT let them take the car and give me cash..or have me "buy it back" with an R title, neither option I wanted. Unfortunately, it doesn't take much damage anymore to an older Cav to have it add up to the insurance company totaling it...even if there really isn't much damage.

I do need to say though, that the pics you are seeing are from after the accident. 99% of the damage was done by the airbags deploying. It obviously blew the coverplate out of the passengers side, and that plate smashed the windshield out. Damage to the front bumper (which hasn't been replaced yet) consists of a large smudge mark on the top of the cover (which I used some compound to buff out so you can't see it now), the plastic grill has some cracked cross pieces from the bumper being pushed down (not really noticeable from a distance) and those "spiderweb" paint cracks in it from the cover flexing to the point that the paint couldn't. I will eventually get a replacement bumper cover when I get the time. Literally the impact was just enough to set off the front sensor (which by the way wasn't physically damaged.)

The only other item that broke that has me very frustrated is a piece of the dash. If you look at the picture of the dash, right above where the bag cover is you'll see a hole. When the cover blew up it actually knocked a small section out. So...by the best of luck I found a dash that is the same light blue color at the pull n pay (only one out of maybe 25-30 cavs there). Problem is there is a tiny crack in the cowl area. So, I have a plan to try and fix via modification my original dash. Just need to find the time to swap dashes so I can try it.

Anyways...as I said earlier...just thought I'd say hello and post some pictures. If anyone is interested in the history of the car (as to why it has low miles, mechanical history etc) I"m happy to post some details. I just didn't want to put up a huge "War and Peace" size text post the first time up. If nothing else, it'll give some of you chance to say "What a weirdo...he didn't do anything to it!"

Introducing the 1997 base Cavalier! 2.2L Auto Transmission

Original Factory Paint. And please no comments about the wheel covers...my wife has a problem with curbs and it's cheaper to get covers at a yard

I'm still amazed that a hood could flex enough to set off an airbag sensor, but not enough to damage it...

Yes, that is the original muffler (and original exhaust system)

This light blue interior color is not easy to come across for some reason. You can see the hole in the dash from the airbag plate hitting it.

Sorry...the floor is a bit dirty...still have the original mats. Normally I have larger aftermarket mats that cover all of this except that stupid little hump under your left foot that gathers dirt over time. I also pulled back the seat cover bottom. I've had covers on the seats since new so they're pretty much as they were when they came from the factory.

Back seat hasn't really been used much since the car was bought (please, keep your mind out of the gutters on the comments! ) There appears to be a similar light blue interior from 97 that used a different material as that's what I found at the yard for the only other light blue interior Cav.

Re: Stopping By Saying Hello-97 Cavalier-88K Miles-Original Owner
Wednesday, August 08, 2012 1:50 AM
nice example of a stock cav. looks great

Friday, August 17, 2012 5:27 AM
thats what my old cavalier looked like lol. only was my interior was tan and mine was a 98. The vin said i had a RS that pic was taken at 178k

Sunday, August 19, 2012 11:39 AM
Welcome to The JBO! That is an immaculate 16 year old Cavalier! I absolutely love the color and the light blue interior is pretty neat (and rare as you mentioned) too. Keep taking good care of it so it will be around another 16 years !

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search