my car - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
my car
Saturday, August 25, 2012 6:48 PM
i have a 1997 sunfire . i need to do stuff to it to get better mpg .....HELPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

thank you

Re: my car
Saturday, August 25, 2012 8:26 PM
- Keep the tires properly inflated
- Keep the air filter clean
- Keep up on oil changes and all other maintenance
- Remove any unnecessary weight from the vehicle i.e. don't haul stuff around in the trunk and/or back seat that you don't need
- Keep your RPMs under 3000 when accelerating

Monday, August 27, 2012 4:56 PM
No matter how new you are you will get chewed up and spit out people on here treat you like crap just because you dont know much about cars they have to make fun of you and make you feel like crap just so they can get a laugh out of it. not funny I am trying to fix up my car.
Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:02 PM
Adam wrote:No matter how new you are you will get chewed up and spit out people on here treat you like crap just because you dont know much about cars they have to make fun of you and make you feel like crap just so they can get a laugh out of it. not funny I am trying to fix up my car.

What are you talking about? Your response has no connection whatsoever to the original post.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:08 PM
yep
Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:38 PM
Adam wrote:yep

You're an idiot.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:01 PM
Might try looking into the simplest and easiest mod to do which is a intake and I know from personal experience u will gain some mpgs and ur car will get a little better acceleration. Also simply just keep regular maintenance up on ur car...plugs,wires all the stuff J to Envy listed.

Friday, August 31, 2012 6:28 AM
Adam wrote:No matter how new you are you will get chewed up and spit out people on here treat you like crap just because you dont know much about cars they have to make fun of you and make you feel like crap just so they can get a laugh out of it. not funny I am trying to fix up my car.

It only happens to you because you're borderline retarded.

Friday, August 31, 2012 6:34 AM
J03Y wrote:

It only happens to you because you're borderline retarded.

joey, tell it how it is... retarded, no borderline involved.

Friday, August 31, 2012 7:14 PM
Daniel Cooper wrote:Might try looking into the simplest and easiest mod to do which is a intake and I know from personal experience u will gain some mpgs and ur car will get a little better acceleration.

An intake is not a guaranteed mileage booster. If you drive around stomping on the gas all the time (which people tend to do when they first install an intake because it makes the engine sound louder), your mileage may actually decrease. However, if you keep your RPMs under 3000 when accelerating, like I listed in my first post, you will most definitely see a modest gain in mileage with an intake.

I have seen a consistent 1-2 mpg increase on my Vibe over the last 3 years with a K&N CAI.

Saturday, September 01, 2012 5:25 PM
breath in breath out its kool not going to get mad over some person trying to be funny calling some one who he does not even know by calling him retarded. So alittle class come on. You can bully me I am not going any where.

Sunday, September 02, 2012 7:52 AM
what intake do yall thing would be the best ... i was looking and i liked the k&N BUT yall might know a better one to get
Sunday, September 02, 2012 8:22 AM
Ebay intake kit, throw away the filter and buy a K&N filter.

Cheap and very effective.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Sunday, September 02, 2012 2:12 PM
Twenty4z wrote:Ebay intake kit, throw away the filter and buy a K&N filter.

Cheap and very effective.

x2! I had an eBay AEM knockoff cold air intake on my 2002 Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2L (2200) with an AEM Dryflow air filter. It fit, looked and sounded great and was much cheaper then the real thing.

The same company I bought mine from years ago is actually selling kits with AEM and K&N air filters for a really reasonable price on eBay now. They have black, silver, blue and red intake tubes available. Here's a silver one with an AEM filter for example.

Sunday, September 02, 2012 6:17 PM
i have just the k and n filter thats like 30 bucks but is it worth it too get the better ones that are 70 80 bucks ill pay it but i wanna know im gettin my moneys worth
Monday, September 03, 2012 9:09 AM
dicky lascko wrote:i have just the k and n filter thats like 30 bucks but is it worth it too get the better ones that are 70 80 bucks ill pay it but i wanna know im gettin my moneys worth

I'm assuming you mean you have a K&N drop in air filter right now? What air filters for a Cavalier/Sunfire are $70.00-$80.00?

Monday, September 03, 2012 5:32 PM
yeah its a drop in and yeah their k&n whole intake systems that are like 80 bucks or soo and i dont know if its worth buying one
Tuesday, September 04, 2012 2:51 AM
cold air intake? short ram intake?Dual Chamber Air Intake? I cant pick which one.
Thursday, September 06, 2012 5:36 PM
dicky lascko wrote:yeah its a drop in and yeah their k&n whole intake systems that are like 80 bucks or soo and i dont know if its worth buying one

An intake is worth it. It's one of the first modifications a lot of people do to a vehicle because it's relatively cheap, easy to install and increases horsepower and fuel mileage. Get the eBay one that I posted, then just get an AEM or K&N filter for it. You'll save yourself a lot of money doing it this way and thus... it will really be worth it.

Adam wrote:cold air intake? short ram intake?Dual Chamber Air Intake? I cant pick which one.

Well, I'll make it easier for you... I have never heard of a "dual chamber air intake".

It's up to you whether you go with an SRI or a CAI. I personally prefer an SRI because you don't have to worry about the possibility of hydrolock. From what I have read, there isn't much performance difference between the two. One gives more power at lower RPMs and the other gives more power at higher RPMs (don't remember which is which). Read the Performance FAQ for more info.

Saturday, September 08, 2012 7:41 AM
what intake do yall think is the best to get ???
Sunday, September 09, 2012 4:32 PM
dicky lascko wrote:what intake do yall think is the best to get ???

Something like this.

Sunday, September 09, 2012 8:28 PM
I recommend the Dry-Flow Filter from AEM as it doesn't require oiling and still uses K&N Filter technology. That link posted above looks like a great deal!

If GM only knew how great a 3400 powered Sunfire is...
Monday, September 10, 2012 1:31 PM
Figured I'd chime in here. I'd agree, buy a cheap ebay intake and get replace the filter with a quality one. I'm running an AEM dry-flow right now on a 4" CAI, and while I have no factual proof that it's better/worse than the K&N, it gets the job done.
As for the difference between SRI and CAI, I can't speak for power difference, but since you are concerned about MPGs, I ran both styles with similar driving habits, and neither made a noticeable difference over the other. One benefit, as J TO ENVY pointed out, is if you stick with a SRI, you don't need to worry about the filter getting soaked (or even freezing over in the winter time).

The two major things that will make an immediate impact (and I know these were mentioned) are regular maintenance (tire inflation, oil change, etc) and your personal driving habits.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search