94 Cavalier 3800SC - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
94 Cavalier 3800SC
Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:15 AM
I bought this car from a local guy in Western NY. The car has been around so some on here may actually know of it. Was built by the shop in Ontario called Raceteh back in 2001. Onto pics.

Security system. had issue with remote breaking so had to dig this from the dash and get part numbers and such.

Replaced the shocks

The car has been basically untouched for the last 10 years and just summer driven. The engine has roughly 20k on it and the body with just shy of 80k. It has solid motor mounts that race tech fabricated, the factory 5 speed from the cavalier with a stage 4 clutch, and they "hacked together" and by hacked i mean did a truly great job, of making the motor work with the factory wiring including the obd1 system. I have done simple maintenance including re-routing the intake, walbro fuel pump, fuel filter, shocks, trans fluid, and an AFR gauge.

Heres what brings me to the forums, after the simple maintenance I decided to take the car to Innovative motorsports in Buffalo to Dyno. They did 1 run and told me that he wouldnt suggest doing another becuase it was knocking in boost and was very lean. Seeing how the tune is 11 years old it wasnt hard to beleive. So i bought a AEM AFR gauge and got the results I feared. The real problem is that its not just anywhere that can tune the chip in the pcm. I got the info I should buy the Moates cable and downoad tunerpro. I try to data log and get the program going and get no reading from the obd port. So i check with a test light and volt meter as well as try to use a jumper wire to make the check engine light flash and got nothing. A guy on my local forum can re-program my chip if i can get the data.

Below is the PCM i have in the car at moment. The motor is from a 2001 buick regal that fell off a delivery truck and had 3 miles on it when bought from JY. I dont know why they used a 94 Olds 88 pcm.

Here's where I am at right now. I am looking into getting a wideband that can log TPS vs AFR because the guy on local forum said he should be able to re-tune off of that info. This guy now lives in South Carolina so its a mail to him the chip kind of thing so cant just have him drive with me and observe the tune or anything of that nature. I am affraid to drive the car hard so its mostly been sitting with occasional driving in vaccum. I am trying to affirm the tune can be safe with only a AFR/TPS to both tune and to track it from this point forward. I am also looking at pulling a full wiring harness and ecm from a 99 buick at the JY with a SC 3800 in it and doing an obdII swap during winter. Harness is $25, ecu $18, and gauge cluster $20 so not big chunk of change. Thoughts on that? I plan to grab the full harness, ecu, wiring/fuses, and gauge cluster so i can at least get it up and running then figure out a custom gauge set up. With the GM security system and I beleive it has a seperate body wiring harness?

I know i just put a whole lot up right away. I am just getting a little frustrated with not being able to enjoy the car during summer so looking at all options. Any help, questions, suggestions etc are very appreciated and welcomed.

Re: 94 Cavalier 3800SC
Friday, September 14, 2012 3:21 PM
Awesome car!!

Have you checked to see if the ODB port has power? Meaning. Like a blown fuse? I do not know second gens to well, but in a third GEN Jbody a cig lighter fuse or horn fuse being blown, or missing can give you no power from the ODB port. not allowing you to read anything.

FU Tuning

Re: 94 Cavalier 3800SC
Thursday, September 20, 2012 5:42 AM
Hey there Dale. Welcome from another Buffalo native. I remember this car from years ago. Haven't seen it in a long time though.

If you haven't heard of it, another good source for local help is NYSpeed.com

Hope you get this thing running again

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search