Introduction - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Introduction
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:47 PM
Hey Everyone!

Name's Dee Jay!

Just bought a 2003 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe (2.2 Ecotec 5-Speed)
It cam in mostly good condition, with 85k miles and the only cons being some rust treated and painted over on the rocker panels, a timing slap, a cracked valve cover, oil in the air assembly/pipe, and smoking like a james bond movie at high rev. Spent 4900 for it at a dealer, but he issued me a full-coverage 90 day/4000 mile warranty that I talked him into. I guess his mechanics thought they'd sell it to some average Joe who wouldn't recognize the problems. I sure did! Now I spent 4900 for a car with 85k that's going to be rebuilt from the block up. I made a list of things that were broke, and what needed fixed//replaced. The only thing that could make the car better is power windows and locks lol.

Anyways, one thing that has me confused around here. I saw some posts from back in 2010 from some guys that were working on a le5 block/l61 head "freakotec" swap and supposedly making an external gear for an external CKPS mount... I haven't been able to see ANYTHING else about it. The youtube account that showed any of the videos is closed. There aren't any group buys related to this ext. gear/mount kit... There's no official writeups... what ever happened to this project?

Here's my eventual build, Comments/Concerns Welcome!
(These are items worth mentioning, obviously I'll add strut bars, sway bars, springs/coilovers, racing seats, and other simple choice "bolt on" stuff like that =) )
L61 Head (built, ported)
LE5 Block
Slight Overbore
Custom Alum Pistons
Turbo-Grind cams
After-Market valves,springs,etc
A-Mark Fuel rail, injectors, and fuel lines/pump/filter
A-M. Intake Manifold (Brand Suggestions?)
Hahn Racecraft TurboSystem (Stage II, Kit)
Boost/Ignition/Etc Control Modules
Gauges (CFM?, Boost, AFR)
Nology Wires
E3 Spark Plugs
Oil relocation kit
CAI or Typhoon WAI
Pacesetter Header
Hi Flow Cat
Catback or Hi Flow Muffler (Haven't decided)

--------------------------My Garage History--------------------------
95 Ford Probe SE (5-Spd) (Junked)
96 Saturn SW2 (Auto) (Til I Rolled it)
97 Dodge Avenger v6 (Auto) <3 (Til a senior citizen T-Boned it.)
08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (6-Speed) (Sold)
82 Yamaha Maxim 400 (5-Speed) (Sold)
95 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 Coupe (5-Spd) (Traded it for current car)
---Currently Owned---
11 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (5-Speed)
03 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe 2.2 Ecotec (5-Spd)

Re: Introduction
Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:26 AM
The 1st LE5/L61 ran great until the car was in an accident and totaled. He tossed another into his Sunfire replacement, but faulty valve springs killed the engine. He rebuilt it again, but again it failed and we were not able to determine why. Another buddy turbocharged one and lost the ringlands. All ran great until their death. The speculation is that Comps' Stage 3 cams are alittle too much for it.

Newt is running a LE5/LSJ and it is holding together just fine and another KGM member is trying the LE5/L61 again.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:05 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:The 1st LE5/L61 ran great until the car was in an accident and totaled. He tossed another into his Sunfire replacement, but faulty valve springs killed the engine. He rebuilt it again, but again it failed and we were not able to determine why. Another buddy turbocharged one and lost the ringlands. All ran great until their death. The speculation is that Comps' Stage 3 cams are alittle too much for it.

Newt is running a LE5/LSJ and it is holding together just fine and another KGM member is trying the LE5/L61 again.

So it's a completely valid build, just had a run of bad luck and a poor choice in cams? It's not necessarily the cams fault either right? As springs could have been upgraded more (I only assume) thereby the springs technically being the problem? Or were they using pretty much the "best" springs? I read in the freakotec thread he was using zzp when the build failed the first time from a broken valve spring.

I'm not familiar with the term, "Ringlands"?

What is KGM?

Is there anywhere I can get into "the-loop" on this build so I can follow along as others try it?

Thanks so much for your reply. I truly appreciate it =)

---Currently Owned---
Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:11 PM
Couldn't find an "Edit Post" button.

I was referring to Ryans first build.

Btw got a replacement motor with 60k miles on it. Dealer paid for it all.
Car runs like a beast, already ripped out the stock air cleaner and replaced the open space with a Spectre cone.

Any recommendations on what to change? (Besides the oil/fluids regularly and doing a timing chain kit?)

---Currently Owned---
Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:17 PM
TheDark1 is the KGMer who is in the middle of the swap right now. KGM - Keystone GM, a group of friends in PA with common interests.

Ryan had the ZZP springs fail(he tried to save some money). The Supertechs he replaced them with held up just fine.

The ringlands are the part of the piston where the oil control and compression rings sit. The top compression one is very thin and is a common failure area with bigger builds.

Where in PA are you? KGM is on the east side with most of the members down near Reading & Philly, but i am in the Northeast near Scranton.

Friday, October 19, 2012 1:41 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:TheDark1 is the KGMer who is in the middle of the swap right now. KGM - Keystone GM, a group of friends in PA with common interests.

Ryan had the ZZP springs fail(he tried to save some money). The Supertechs he replaced them with held up just fine.

The ringlands are the part of the piston where the oil control and compression rings sit. The top compression one is very thin and is a common failure area with bigger builds.

Where in PA are you? KGM is on the east side with most of the members down near Reading & Philly, but i am in the Northeast near Scranton.

So the "dip" itself, if you will, (top one on the piston) itself is what failed? Versus just the ring failing? Or does the ring continually and radically fail. Didn't quite understand the problem.

I live in Ebensburg (~30miles north of Johnstown if that helps any), I have a cousin that lives in Scranton though interestingly enough. I wish the KGM group were a bit more spread out, as I could see myself sharing some of the same interests (depending of course what the KGM's interests are, which I can only speculate)

Right now I'm working on what I consider the "important" upgrades. I don't plan on being N/A for too long after the swap, so I won't bother with the header (since it will get replaced with the turbo exhaust manifold anyway) but the only "bolt ons" I will be doing are CAI, a HFCat, and Catback Exhaust. After that, it's down to the truely important, such as struts/coils, a better steering wheel, and better braking system, then I'll get into the block swap/turbocharge/make this thing 400whp mods... (dreaming)

Anyways I'm disoriented due to lack of sleep, take whatever I just wrote for what it's worth and get back to me at your convience

---Currently Owned---
Friday, October 19, 2012 8:55 AM
Dee Jay wrote:

So the "dip" itself, if you will, (top one on the piston) itself is what failed? Versus just the ring failing? Or does the ring continually and radically fail. Didn't quite understand the problem.

The top edge of the pistons. When they fail they'll crack and break off.

Dee Jay wrote:
I live in Ebensburg (~30miles north of Johnstown if that helps any), I have a cousin that lives in Scranton though interestingly enough. I wish the KGM group were a bit more spread out, as I could see myself sharing some of the same interests (depending of course what the KGM's interests are, which I can only speculate)

KGM's facebook page is the best way to stay "in the loop" as far as meets. They are always an open invite to anyone. We all have a good knowledge of Ecotecs and boosting them. However the majority of our boosted Js are supercharged. Also if you are interested in keeping tabs on what is going on in NEPA, then NEPAStreetScene(.com and on facebook) is your best option.

Dee Jay wrote:
Right now I'm working on what I consider the "important" upgrades. I don't plan on being N/A for too long after the swap, so I won't bother with the header (since it will get replaced with the turbo exhaust manifold anyway) but the only "bolt ons" I will be doing are CAI, a HFCat, and Catback Exhaust. After that, it's down to the truely important, such as struts/coils, a better steering wheel, and better braking system, then I'll get into the block swap/turbocharge/make this thing 400whp mods... (dreaming)

Come to a few KGM meets, we can help get you squared away.

Friday, November 16, 2012 6:09 AM
Hi guys

Its Neal from Ontario, Canada. I am newbie to this forum. I m 22 years old and still a student of University. I am also doing a part time job on a garage. I am not much familiar with cars so that's why i am joining this forum to expand my knowledge about vehicles. My interests are driving new cars and i like the unique modifications. I hope it will be a great time with you and I will find much stuff for increasing my knowledge. Thanks for reading my intro.

Rola Roof Racks
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search