Newbie with race car questions - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Newbie with race car questions
Thursday, January 20, 2011 9:19 AM
Well, I have been a member of the site for a while but this is my first post & I'm probably in the wrong forum but here goes.

I race a 1997 Sunfire in a stock 4 cylinder class in Nova Scotia. Now, our class has always been a fairly even mix of auto makers (mostly domestics) however, in the last 2-3 years, cursed Dodge Neons are DOMINATING in a bad fashion, due to the fact that they come off the line with 12-13 more HP AND weigh in somewheres around 400 lbs lighter. Being a bow-tie guy I refuse to drive a dodge but am having a hard time keeping up with them. I have put my time in on the set up & have the old thing handling quite well but am still badly out powered on the exit of the turns & down the straights.

Basically what I'm looking for on here is some small improvements/modifications I can make to be more competitive. That being said, we do have a claim rule (track reserves the right to buy your car on any given day if they think you have an unfair advantage) of $700 ($200-motor & $500-car) so it does limit what I am willing to do to the car. I have looked into a bore, head plane & a few other things but the cost is way beyond the claim rule & I am not willing to sacrifice a ride I have worked so hard on. Any tips & tricks would be greatly appreciated!

I am also seeking sponsorship for the upcoming race season if any potential sponsors happen to read this, see my profile for contact info.

Thanks!

Re: Newbie with race car questions
Friday, January 21, 2011 12:17 PM
Well, glad to see such a high level of support on here...(insert sarcasm) guess i'll continue to look elsewhere for advise
Friday, January 21, 2011 1:12 PM
your questions are probably better off in another section of the forum say performance. here is where you should introduce yourself, if you have automotive credentials what are they, where your from and tell us what kind of car you drive, post up some pics etc. Not many people are going to be in the newbie forum.

that being said is the car 2.2 or 2.4, auto or stick, what EXACTLEY have you done to it, what are you power numbers or what power numbers are you hoping for, need more specific info otherwise i could just say buy a CAI.

cheers

and welcome

p.s i would search, read, search, read and repeat the process till you are for sure you cant find what you are looking for then post. otherwise you may or may not get flamed as guys get tired of repeating the same stuff to every new guy wanting to go fast

Saturday, January 22, 2011 6:21 AM
that's the most important thing, what kind of car, engine transmission? and no i'm not just going to look in your profile, (chances are you haven't even filled it out). it's not our job to do the legwork for you. if you can't give us any info then you can't expect much in return.

have you done anything suspension/chassis wise to it yet? what exactly are the rules of your class? what are you allowed to do to it? does it have to remain "stock" looking?

help us out a little bit so we can help you. and yes like the guy above me said, research some more in the performance and racing forum. the racing forum has lots and lots of threads just like yours. read what theyv'e done.

Saturday, January 22, 2011 6:25 AM
Thanks guys. That's the main thing I was looking for was some kind of direction here. As I am a newbie to the forums I didn't really know where to start with posting or anything so I appreciate the guidance. I will do some searching around & see what I can find as well as repost this elsewhere with more info about my car & stuff
Saturday, January 22, 2011 6:33 AM
& for what it's worth, it is supposed a to be "stock" so I am looking for less "visible" mods. As far as the suspension is concerned I feel I have that under control, just really need a lil extra kick on exit. My motor is strong & i do have a general tear down/overhaul plan for it in the next month & just looking for any small & cost efficient mods that I can do in the process. I figured if anyone knew any little cheats I would find them on here
Saturday, January 22, 2011 8:24 PM
hp tuners for ecu and all of your top end issues are solved by sbc parts. check out performance and search ln2 and ohv posts.

Sunday, November 25, 2012 5:51 PM
This is a interesting topic,

I just finished getting project HELL FIRE running just need body work and 1 last thing,

2000 Grand Am ram air body full front clip
Grand am front brakes, hubs, control arms
Rear IRS conversion (done right) other guys set ups are not strong at all mine is
GTZ HO 2.3 5speed
OBD1 harness head to tail light
Cobolt lnf exhaust and fuel pump with a regulator
impala heavy duty bearings all round
GTP bbs style rims
list go's on

I sold the lnf engine so that never happened sorry if any one wanted to see that.

*ADVERTISING REMOVED*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:35 PM
Sunday, November 25, 2012 7:49 PM
I'll be posting pics of the car in the following day's

So every one can see what car looks like now and during the creation of the AWD set up
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:13 PM
you want a "racecar" and a Sunfire was youre first choice? theres no hope for you.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:16 PM
Your funny, i picked a sunfire to be like you

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:21 PM
i learned my mistakes. i dont own a Sunfire/Cavalier anymore.

Sunday, January 27, 2013 1:23 AM
Race fuel? Nitrous bottle in the door? Throw a cam in it lol. There is quite a few things you could pull off for under $500.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search