New to j-body scene - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New to j-body scene
Friday, December 21, 2012 10:22 PM
Hello all, my name is Mike Edwards. I have beeninto the car mod scene since 2008 starting with a v6 f150. I know "who would want to mod a v6 full size truck" right? Well, I did lol and it's pretty quick. My dad drove the j-body i have now until a rod went through the block. It's a red 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT Convertible.

This car was fun when I got to drive it and I thought it was pretty fast for a little 4 cylinder car. My roommate has a 300+ HP Cobalt SS/SC and it really got me flowing with ideas of how to make this car live again and get fast

Right now it sits in my back yard with everything stripped off the engine and sitting in the back seat (with a tarp over the seats). I have the engine ready to pull out, but I am just waiting on another engine to swap with.

Here's some pics of it now:

^ and yes that is a clean hole from the block through the oil pan with my eye looking back up through it

as you can see, this engine is dooooone! lol

I have been quite interested in the W41 cams, the 2.3L high output intake manifold, and the HO or w41 head. They seem to make the most power stock, but I would like to have an LD9 block/internals cause I would like the displacement/stroke of the 2.4L So i guess a LD9 Hybrid? I love the sound of a turbo setup and will keep the dual exhaust setup no matter what i do cause i love that sound. But idk if i want to do an N/A setup or a turbo setup yet. I figured either way i'm buying internals so i might as well get high compression and not a turbo kit to save money and just stay N/A, or spend the extra dime and do a low comp build with a turbo setup. My power goals are 250+ whp right now.

I got a long way to go yet and could use some advice, mentoring, and some good deals on parts. Thank you all for welcoming me to the site and hopefully i can be of some use to some of the members in here as well. Thanks again.

1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT Convertable
1997 Ford F150 XLT

Re: New to j-body scene
Friday, December 21, 2012 10:39 PM
also I thought i'd show some pics and a mod list of my truck just to give you an idea of my experience with mods in the past.

1997 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab
4.2L (Essex) V6
4R70W 3.55:1 final
Mods: Efans, shaved heads (9.7:1 comp.), hardened pushrods, 3 angle valve job, Spectre cold air intake, Flowmaster 40 series SI/SO, catless y-pipe, pcv delete, ported intake, ported/half shafted/knife edged throttle body, 180* thermostat, Melling high flow oil pump, expedition console, smoked lightning headlights, Duralast tool box, 2 6" speaker boxes.

1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT Convertable
1997 Ford F150 XLT

Saturday, December 22, 2012 8:25 AM
welcome! nice to see another GT and a vert to boot! Your valve ports look a lot like mine did before I ripped it all apart lol Start yourself a build thread in photos/media. looking forward to see how she turns out

"Is that your exhaust or is that the sound of someone deflating a cat?"
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:08 PM
get rid of the car and the truck. they are both junk

Monday, January 28, 2013 10:26 PM
I thought this was a j-body site not ford.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:48 PM
Adam wrote:I thought this was a j-body site not ford.

I thought this was a nice friendly place for people to share their builds and learn. Dont be an ass newbie.

Congrats on the new car. Theres nothing wrong with building outside of the box. Have fun here. Theres lot of good info.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:58 PM
This Adam guy just goes around saying stupid a$$ comments...look at his join date and other threads he started.

Anyway to the op welcome and looking forward to trackin your build.

Friday, February 01, 2013 1:14 AM
get rid of the car and the truck. they are both junk thats what hardcorexsunfire says

Monday, March 18, 2013 7:43 PM
Nice truck man I own a j-body but my heart lies with 4 wheel. Drive and V8's and go in mudding which I have done in my Sunbird hahaha

2000 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2L OHV
1993 GMC Suburban 5.7L TBI
Monday, March 18, 2013 8:09 PM
Nice on both and welcome!

As for the motor build, I say LD9 with HO or W41 cams.

Building it one piece at a time
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search