Coolant leak - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Coolant leak
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:04 PM
This is my first post here in the forums but I have a issue with my Cavalier. First one I've owned, and actually the first vehicle I've had with this particular problem.

1994 Cavalier RS
2.2l engine, automatic trans. Factory a/c 110,500 miles.

Earlier today I was driving and I started to smell coolant. I turned the heat on and I got a very strong antifreeze smell, and the air was blowing hot like it should. I immediately parked the car and shut it off, as it was just starting to push over 200 on the temp gauge. The carpet was not wet, but there was a bunch pouring out underneath the car on the passenger side.

I found a L shaped fitting on the firewall in the engine compartment where the coolant was leaking out from. I'm assuming its related to the heater core? After a half hour I started it again briefly, and the air blowing wasn't hot anymore, and the temp climbed back up to 200 so I shut it off before any damage could happen, I hope.

So is this going to be difficult to replace? How would I get at the heater core, by pulling the dash? Kinda bummed, I picked this car up 2 weeks ago for only $900. Aside from this it's been a awesome vehicle.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search