Duagther's cav hard starting - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Duagther's cav hard starting
Friday, September 13, 2013 7:24 AM
Hello all,
I'm new to cavaliers and have been trying to figure out her problem of hard starts after the car has sat more than 10 minutes.
Here are the specs on the car, 1999 Cavalier 2.2 OHV engine, automatic transmission, with 124,000 miles.
I have been reading numerous forums trying to find a resolution to her problem.
After sitting more than 10 minutes or so the engine has to crank for 10-20 seconds before starting.
I have tried "priming" the system by cycling the ignition switch several times with no luck.
I used my OBD II code reader and found 2 codes, PO301 number 1 cyl misfire, and PO440- evap problem.
Evap was just a purge solenoid had came unplugged. It has new plugs , fuel filter, number 1 injector, MAP sensor, coolant temp sensor, intake air sensor. The car has plenty of spark, I am stumped on this one! I have seen lots of posts about this type of problem in these cars without any solutions to it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Re: Duagther's cav hard starting
Friday, September 13, 2013 8:38 AM
Check your bleed down on the fuel with a fuel pressure gauge..... It could be the fuel leaks down and needs time to prime if this is the case could be a number of possiabilities with the fuel system more then likely comming back to a leaky fpr or a bad fuel pump..... or in my case when something like this happened it was a leaky fuel tank combined with a clogged fuel filter

Erik Packard
Re: Daugther's cav hard starting
Friday, September 13, 2013 8:43 AM
Thanks for the response,
I will check it out and see what is going on with it, I thought if it was a fpr it would have gas on the vacuum side?
Thanks again, Dan
Friday, September 13, 2013 8:50 AM
My brother's cav of exactly the same year did this. His was a leaky injector in one cylinder. Yours is likely cylinder 1. Try swapping the cylinder 1 and 2 injectors and seeing if the code goes to cylinder 2. If it does, replace that bad boy with a new one.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, September 13, 2013 8:59 AM
I already bought a new injector and installed it into number one, the code cleared but it still starts hard after sitting for 10+ minutes.
This thing is driving me crazy chasing this problem! Thanks for the response
Friday, September 13, 2013 9:01 AM
Reading>me. Good luck brother.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, September 13, 2013 9:31 AM
If there is gas in the vacuum line its BAD..... and could be your hard start problem Good Luck and get back with us with your fix

Erik Packard
Friday, September 13, 2013 9:55 AM
There is no gas on the vacuum side, I checked that before I started changing sensors and the injector.
I'm starting to think it may be a weak pump, but these cars are so freaking hard to hook a fuel pressure gauge up to that I haven't been able to test the leak down yet. I'm going to try to rig something up later to test it.
Thanks
Friday, September 13, 2013 11:03 AM
I read somewhere that the crank position sensor could be the culprit also, but I would think it would not start every time not just after sitting for 10 mins.
Anyone ever have a crank position sensor go bad a have these problems? thanks
Sunday, September 29, 2013 3:04 PM
make sure ur securrity lights not flashin, if the key is worn sometimes or if its a copy of a key sometimes it will do that. mine thought it was bein stolen or some crap and wouldnt start. i left the key on for 15 min and has since started everytime.
Tuesday, April 05, 2016 6:19 AM
Has anyone actually solved this issue? I'm at wits end here as I've tried the above and more.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search