New Sunfire, some questions. - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New Sunfire, some questions.
Monday, November 18, 2013 7:09 PM
Hey everybody, I recently bought a 2003 Sunfire 5MT. This is my first gas car and I know nothing about most of the stuff on this car including the engine and any other non-diesel components.

I have some questions about the Sunfire, keep in mind that my regular car is on coil overs, has slick tires, is diesel, has no exhaust, has a lot of torque, has upgraded brakes, requires very little effort to actuate the clutch and brakes, has very hard brakes, and has ABS:
The clutch is much stiffer than my VW, but it activates within the first inch or so or pressure. Normal?
Is it normal in a car with a regular suspension to be bucking around when shifting? I can't seem to shift smoothly without really slipping the clutch. My TDI is very stiff so if there was bucking/rocking I wouldn't know.
Is it normal for the steering wheel to not be super-smooth and really easy to turn? It feels like something between a Geo Metro and my TDI.
My shift lever is really loose, and it is hard to get into first gear.
Also, can I cut the shift lever shorter easily?
What oil does it use, and can I switch to 5w40 mobile 1 turbo diesel (just kidding!)
Is there an easy DIY rear rotor to drum swap?
Is there any way to make the brakes not suck? I hear there are currently "whatever the good pads are" installed. Should I upgrade to a better rotor or is the issue with the drums?
Is there a better plug and play drivers seat which doesn't have a metal cross bar smashing into my lower back? The seat is MUCH more comfortable though compared to my other car's.
Can the stock radios have an aux connection soldered in? Does the stock radio look better in the car versus an aftermarket? I don't know how to work the radio that is in there. I hate HUs.
The light on the mileage window is out, is it a plug and play fix or would I have to solder a new LED in?

Keep in mind some of my questions are stupid/ignorant because in the TDI world, it is much simpler/easier to just buy the best parts that the TDI vendors sell or do a DIY and swap in much better parts from a bigger/faster VW/Audi/Porsche. I really don't want to work on this car too much due to time constraints and the fact that this is a nice DD and I want to keep it super stock. I also know zero about how gasoline engines work and I don't have the time to learn like I did with my diesel.

I like this car though, it was a good price ($2600) and only has 115k or so. Once I make it quieter exhaust wise and remove the bubbly tint it will be an excellent comfortable car to drive.

Re: New Sunfire, some questions.
Monday, November 18, 2013 10:27 PM
Welcome to our World

I used to drive my buddies 02 VW Jetta hatchback that was a TDI for work, that thing made me fall in love with that technology. Those things could take a beating. But the worst looking blue leather interior I have ever seen. Wouldn't mind scooping a same year TDI Golf to drive around, being smaller and such. Although I found the reverse to be in such an odd spot (in our first gear spot)

While a lot of these questions you could quickly look up in the search bar up top, ill throw a little 2 cents about what I have learned/observed.

The clutch is like that with J's. I barely move my foot to depress the clutch, making shifting while in traffic not at all bothersome. While other cars I have drove are different like my girlfriends Yaris which I feel like I am "orge stomping" the clutch pedal.
Same with the "bumping around" you have with your car. The way both my Cavaliers shifted pretty heavy, with only a slight improvement with lower suspension. Again I base this on other vehicles I have ridden before including the Jetta.
Steering wheel, meh I like that its looser, makes city driving not feel like you are "torquing" the steering wheel, plus on highway speeds it makes dodging potholes much easier. Before the my first cavalier I drove a Civic Hatchback with no power steering, "Hulking" the steering wheel in parking lots I somewhat miss in a weird way.
Getting into 1st is apparently an issue with the 03-05 J bodys. I haven't drove them to much to notice. But the shift levels are loose, I wiggle mine a lot.
I run 5w30, but it could vary if you live in a colder environment.
Look up the rear disk swap, there are a couple ways to go about it. There is actually a Group Purchase I believe going on regarding that from an individual, who I have heard nothing but good things about him and his products.
Our cars use mostly front brakes so check the fronts first. I had a weird feeling in my rotors so I switched them up and it braked like brand new car. I also tightened the rear drums a bit later because my ebrake was starting not to work. Also I have heard Hawk pads work wonders with our cars.
That metal cross member pops out because of a spring failure I believe. So you could always find a non messed up seat at a wreckers. Although there are a bit of plug in play seats that could be used. I couldn't name them off the top of my head but the search bar is again your friend.
Personal preference with the radio. I prefer having the ability to plug and charge my phone and play music through a HU so I put one in.
And as far as the cluster light, find one at the scrapyard or something to swap because it is an LED light you would have to solder. Also a common problem, mine flickers kinda.

But ya, I'm sure someone else will throw in some info.
I'm glad you seemed to pick up a decent car for a DD.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search