Removing Air Intake Resonator Box - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Removing Air Intake Resonator Box
Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:35 PM
Can you do this? I heard that if you run the pipe from the short ram intake directly to the engine, it would be less restrictive flow and louder sound that sounds nice. The black box on the engine in case I got the name wrong lol

Re: Removing Air Intake Resonator Box
Friday, December 13, 2013 6:47 AM
I don't know that it'll be any less restrictive, especially on a otherwise stock motor but it will be louder.
Friday, December 13, 2013 7:29 AM
It'll definitely be louder. No harm in doing this as long as you hook up the pcv properly. When I did this I used an ebay cold air intake setup that went directly to the throttle body. Then I just cut the pipe to keep the filter under the hood where yours is.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, December 13, 2013 12:31 PM
I'm all for the noise. I'm not a ricer but as a deaf person, it's nice to be able to hear my engine. And on my set up, what kind of pipe do I need? Looks like I'll need around a foot and one pipe to be 90* or so...
Friday, December 13, 2013 12:49 PM
i have a whole one avalible its a weapon r 40 shipped in the us

Saturday, December 14, 2013 1:07 PM
I'm good tim, just gonna get some metal piping to eliminate the resonator.
Monday, December 16, 2013 12:35 PM
On my 2.2 OHV 95 Cavalier, I moved the battery to the trunk and built an actual cold airbox mounted where the battery and air filter used to be. I used a K&N cone filter with the stock intake hose. It definitely improved the performance as I measure all changes to it's acceleration over a measured 1/8 mile section of road. The stock intake hose will be changed for an aluminum 3" tube as soon as I can afford it.

The latest change was installing an OBX Stainless 4-2-1 header. Another measurable improvement which also gave it an improved sound. It is a bit too loud when you hit the gas hard, but livable on the highway. I was very favorable impressed with the quality and completeness of their product too.

It also has a MegaSquirt MS3X engine management coming. It has two switchable ignition and fuel injection maps so one will be for performance and the other for gas mileage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LalRe2cmluE
this is last season at the local 1/8th mile dragstrip but before the header was installed.

dennis
Monday, December 16, 2013 7:00 PM
You, sir, just gave me a good idea. What if I use the stock plastic hose from the throttle body directly to the short ram intake until I get actual aluminum?
Tuesday, December 17, 2013 5:36 AM
Austen Kopp wrote:You, sir, just gave me a good idea. What if I use the stock plastic hose from the throttle body directly to the short ram intake until I get actual aluminum?

worth a try
Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:34 AM
I would try but one question is holding me back: how is the intake is gonna stay in place? It'll be all over the place since the plastic hose is flexible..
Sunday, December 22, 2013 2:31 PM
The air intake resonator is the large plastic piece that is down behind the front bumper, not the piece on top of the valve cover that says 2200 on it .

Removing either of these pieces will provide a negligible difference in noise and performance. Removing either of these pieces will not harm anything though. Heck, I even removed the air intake resonator on my Vibe recently just to make more room for mounting HID ballasts .

Sunday, December 22, 2013 7:22 PM
I just wanna remove the black box and replace it with some aluminum because it sticks out like a sore thumb and just ugly. Don't worry, after this photo I added some clamps to make sure the hose is on there secure.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search