I've got some questions. - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I've got some questions.
Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:07 PM
Hey everyone finally got registered I have a 2002 sunfire SE sedan with the ecotec engine and 4 speed auto trans that has 107k miles. So I have some questions though my car has no options no power locks no power windows nothing so I'm wondering how difficult it would be to put in power locks and windows I've seen some threads on this but nothing that was actually a walkthrough. Any suggestions on where to look? Also if you have any things that you think I should look at or check on please let me know I'm looking for any info on this car I can get. Thanks in advance.

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.

Re: I've got some questions.
Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:58 PM
There's usually 2 ways to do it.
1. Aftermarket kits. Pretty self explanatory. Usually easiest, although some require some modifications for switches.
2. OEM. This way usually requires ALOT more work. When it comes to the auto locks, it runs threw the BCM which is a different one then base model, so you would have to do some major changing over if you wanted it to look/perform like stock. Power windows to look original just takes the parts and patience. I did it this way myself and it was more of a hassle finding the damn door panels without holes in them.

You could swap your entire body harness (including BCM) for one that has all the options. Find one and rip apart your entire interior. That's an option and I've seen that done.

For aftermarket, The basic premise is this. Run wires to inside all door panels. (However you need). Make sure all of your wires are protected with inline fuses. Ask yourself if you would be the type of person who would run a relay for the power windows so then you can only open them when the ignition is turned?

Also, Do you have basic wiring knowledge?
Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:34 AM
Use the SPAL Aftermarket kits... I did it on my car and its 10x easier than trying to source and install the factory stuff. Run separate wiring and you can have both, windows and locks done in a day!

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:15 AM
And then there's me who would rather have manual windows because they don't break very often..

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:41 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:And then there's me who would rather have manual windows because they don't break very often..

Do aftermarket spal, and if they do break... out of warranty, use the manual crank that comes with the kit! I have never had to and im going almost 4 years strong with mine!

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:14 AM
I've got no problems wiring stuff plus my dad does some electric for work and he can help me out too really I don't mind the power windows just the locks are kinda a pain I the butt since I have to unlock the back doors most of the time since I have people with me but since I was planning on pulling the wiring and stuff from a junk car I have to do the windows as well or I'll have holes in the door panels. But I didn't know about the BCM thing for that where exactly is it located? If it's not a huge pain maybe I'll still go that route but now I have to look into aftermarket too.

Oh and one other things is swapping in a manual worth it even if my current trans if working fine I can get pretty much all the parts including the trans for about $100 from a pick n pull near me. It would include trans pedal set clutch cylinder. If there is a thread on a swap I can look at that too I just seems searching for it brings up people who ask about it then decide not to.

Saturday, February 15, 2014 6:17 PM
Bump

Also does anyone know what are some good maintenance related things to check on

Saturday, February 15, 2014 9:13 PM
If you decide to do a manual swap you will need the computer and need to weld on mounts and Probaly
More than you think but $100 is a really good price for that stuff

Sunday, February 16, 2014 7:20 AM
I figured on needing the computer but I think I can get that for free. The trans would be $37 the pedals would be about $20 and the the cylinders are $12 or 15 apiece. I'll have to keep looking around for a trans swap with pictures though.

I have noticed that the throttle needs to be adjusted since until you have about 25% throttle there isn't much response. I noticed that the car doesn't want to keep a set speed either like if I keep my foot at the same spot on the throttle it seems to slowly decelerate instead of holding a speed I'm hoping that adjusting the throttle will fix that though

Sunday, February 16, 2014 9:41 AM
So essentially what I'm hearing is you want a whole new car? (Would be simpler lol)

If you are going to be thinking about putting a whole new harness into the car then make sure you get one with every option then including the BCM. (The GT) The key fobs work thru the BCM and you have to have that one.

As for the manual tranny, it should just be personal preference if your auto works. If you want to, then go for it. I'm pretty sure there is a sticky regarding auto to manual swap.
Sunday, February 16, 2014 10:28 AM
Not quite a whole new car I do like the Ecotec engine . Seriously though the manual swap is something I would like to do but that might not be for a while.

I've been looking into aftermarket locks and I might go that route since I don't mind the manual windows.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search