2001 Pontiac Sunfire Engine swap - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2001 Pontiac Sunfire Engine swap
Friday, February 28, 2014 11:25 PM
Hey whats up..... thanks for letting me join and i hope to gain lots of usefull information here!

Heres my big question, I bought my third pontiac sunfire and I want to do an engine swap from a 2007 chevy cobalt from reading
online I picked the wrong year to do this, too late for me i own it now. I hear that a 2001 to 2005 Ecotec engine and trans is the years that are desireable,
So whats it going to take to make this work? if it were a motorcycle I would make it work but my car expertese is so-so on what needed but as far as what computers to use or ecm's im lame!
I've read someplace that 07 is a pain in the a*s to work with the electronic throttle body and transmission shift points and tha variable valve timing. and if i use a cobalt engine wire harness and all computers ecm its a pain and some of my interior dash guages would not work (tach, spedo, check engine, )
HELP IM LOST...... ALL I WANT IS MY LITTLE SUNFIRE TO HAVE SOME GETTY UP AND BE A SLEEPER THAT SPANKS SOME FOREIGN SH*T

Re: 2001 Pontiac Sunfire Engine swap
Saturday, March 01, 2014 1:24 AM
Alittle searching would have turned up this post.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=30&i=38274&t=38274

The Eco(the 2.2L L61 variant) wasnt introduced in J-bodies until 2003 and then it was the only engine option from 2003-2005. Cobalt L61s(2.2L) are not worth the time to swap because the trigger wheel on the crank(for the CPS) is different and wont play with J-body electronics. The 2.0L S/C engines(LSJ) and 2.4L N/A(LE5) engines have been done, but are tricky.

L61 Eco swaps in 2000+ J-bodies are cheap, simple, and with experienced hands they can be done in a day. The L61 also accepts the supercharger kit off a Cobalt SS/SC and that is also a 1 day install with experienced hands. The L61/M62 combo is the cheapest, quickest, and most reliable way to make 200-2270whp(depending on how far you want to go).

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search