2004 Cavalier ATX Potential. - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2004 Cavalier ATX Potential.
Thursday, December 25, 2014 1:30 PM
I have a 2004 Cavalier with auto trans. I'm looking for a budget track car (track with left and right turns). Any suggestions (upgrades/mods)? I'm looking to do a mtx conversion with a $300.00 ebay trans, ecu, pedals, mounts, etc. I have no shortage of mechanics and tools in my family so anything can really be accomplished. Also, is this a good idea? Or just a waste of time/money?

Re: 2004 Cavalier ATX Potential.
Friday, December 26, 2014 7:23 AM
Nothings a waste of time and money if it's what you want. Manual trans swap can be done but it's involved. You really need a whole donor car to make sure you have anything. The mounts are different so you'll have to cut them out of the manual trans car and weld them into your car; that usually scares most people off. You'll need to figure out your plans for the harness too, whether you're going to modify the auto harness or swap the manual harness. I'd prefer option 2 but that's because I hate cutting factory wires. Don't forget the neutral safety switch in the console either..

For autox, sway bars, poly bushings, and a good strut/spring combo or coilover setup goes a long way. Just remember that you cannot run lowering springs on stock struts, they'll blow out fast.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, December 27, 2014 11:18 AM
I don't think it's good to use the words 'budget track car' and 'Cavalier' anywhere near each other. Unless you're intent on spending countless dollars building the car to a level that other cars start at.

Saturday, December 27, 2014 11:21 AM
James Cahill wrote:I don't think it's good to use the words 'budget track car' and 'Cavalier' anywhere near each other. Unless you're intent on spending countless dollars building the car to a level that other cars start at.

Truer words have never been spoken.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, January 02, 2015 1:35 PM
you said track car so im assuming it will see little if any street use. if your planning on building a cage, do that before mounting the pedals, you might be able to weld a bracket to a roll bar gusset for the pedals to mount to.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search